Masala Vada / Paruppu Vadai / Channa Dal Fritters
Recipe type: Snacks | Cuisine: Indian | Yield / Serves: 15 Vadas
Channa Dal – 1 cup
Rice flour – 1 teaspoon (Optional)
Onion – 1 big Chopped
Coriander Leaves – 3 tablespoon chopped
Fennel Seeds – 2 teaspoon
Red Chilli – 4
Ginger – 1 inch piece (optional)
Oil – for deep frying
Salt – To Taste
Step by Step Photos on how to make Masala Vada / Paruppu Vadai / Channa Dal Fritters
- Wash the channa dal well. Soak Channa Dal in water for 2 hours. After 2 hours drain the excess water. Add them into a blender. Add in dry red Chillis and fennel seeds.
- Add in salt to taste. Pulse them in the blender. Its ok if few of them are not grinded. Now add the chopped onion into the dal mixture.
- Add in Coriander leaves and mix them. Make small balls of the vada mixture and flatten them in your palm.
- Immediately place them into hot oil. Deep fry them on both sides until golden brown. Remove them from oil.
- Leave them in the absorbant paper for the excess oil to be absorbed.
- Do not add water while blending the channa dal.
- If the vada mixture gets watery add a tablespoon of besan to make it thick enough.
- Add 1 tablespoon of rice flour to make the vada crispy.
- The number of Vada Completely Depends on the size of the vada tha you make.