Checkout other Gravy Recipes
Moong Dal /Green Gram Curry/Paruppu Kari Recipe
|Prep time: 10 Min||| Cook time: 20 min||| Total time:30 min|
|Recipe type: Side Dish||| Cuisine: Indian||| Yield / Serves: 4|
|Taste: Mildly Spicy|
To Pressure Cook:
Split Green Gram/Moong Dal – 1/2 Cup
Water – 1 Cup
Onion – 1 or Small Onion/Shallots – 8
Turmeric – a generous pinch
Salt – To taste
Fresh Coconut – 1/4 cup
Green Chilli – 1
Jeera – 1 tsp
Mustard – 1 tsp
Curry Leaves – 1 spring
Red Chilli – 2
- Dry Roast Moong Dal/ Split green Gram until nice aroma comes out.
- Add the ingredients listed under to grind in a Mixer/blender and grind it into a paste.
- Add the roasted moong dal in a pressure cooker with water, onion and salt. Pressure cook for 3 whistles. Wait until the pressure releases on its own.
- Open the pressure cooker and add little water if required. Using a hand blender and mash the dal.
- Heat the mashed dal again. Add the ground paste and turmeric, Cook for 2 minutes in high flame and for another 5 minutes in low flame. Switch off the flame.
- Heat oil in another kadai and add mustard until it splutters. Add Curry leaves, and red chillies. Add this mixture on top of the cooked dal.
Serve Moong Dal Gravy with Hot Steamed rice and Ghee.
- Roasted moong dal increases the taste of the dish. So do not omit this step.
Step by Step Photos on how to make Moong Dal Gravy:
- Dry Roast the moong dal until nice aroma comes out. Add the roasted dal along with water, onion, salt add pressure cook for 3 whistles in high flame. Wait until the pressure releases on its own.
- Add 1/2 cup water if required and mash the dal with a hand blender.
- Add the ingredients listed under to grind and make a paste.
- Add the ground coconut mixture into the mashed dal and add turmeric. Boil in high flame for 2 minutes and in low flame for 5 minutes for the coconut to blend well with dal.
- Heat oil in a Kadai. Add mustard, Curry Leaves and red chillies and roast it.
- Add the roasted mixture of top of the boiled dal.
- Dal Mixture is now ready. Serve it with hot steamed rice and ghee.
[Dal, Coconut Dal, Veg Gravy]