Pulikachal/ Tamarind Rice Mix
|Prep time: 5 Min||| Cook time: 15min||| Total time:20 Min|
|Recipe type: Side Dish||| Cuisine: Indian||| Yield / Serves: 250 grams container|
|Taste: Spicy and Tangy|
Tamarind – 1/4 Kg
Gingely Oil -120 milliliter
Turmeric Powder – 1/2 teaspoon
Salt To Taste
Mustard Seeds – 1 teaspoon
Urad Dhal – 2 teaspoon
Channa Dal – 1/2 Cup
Curry Leaves – Few
Redchillies – 4 broken
To Roast and Grind Mix 1:
Coriander Seeds – 1/4 Cup
Channa Dal – 2 tablespoon
Redchilli – 10
Asafoetida – 1/4 teaspoon
Crry Leaves – few
To Roast and Grind Mix 2:
Fenugreek – 1 tablespoon
Sesame Seeds – 1.5 tablespoon
Procedure on how to make Pulikachal, Tamarind Rice Mix:
- Dry roast the ingredients under Roast and Grind Mix1 and Mix2 seperately. Cool them down and grind them into powder separately. Set aside.
- Soak the tamarind in hot water for 10 minutes. Squeeze the pulp. Set aside.
- Heat the Gingely oil in a Pan. Add the mustard seeds and allow them to splutter. Add Urad Dal, Channa Dal and dry red chillies and roast them. Add the curry leaves. Sauté them for 20 seconds. Add the tamarind pulp. Cook for 5 minutes.
- Add the spice mix powder 1 and cook for 5 minutes. Then add the spice mix powder 2. Add Salt to taste. Cook until the oil seperates from the mixture.
- This Pulikachal keeps good in refrigerator for a month. Store in a clean and dry glass Jar. Use Clean Dry spoons every time for using it.
- While Mixing it with rice allow the rice to cool and then mix it in order to avoid the rice from sticking with each other.
- Add the pulikachal with rice little by little as add salt if required.
- Increase or Decrease the Spice level according to your requirements. Mine was a spicy version.
- Using gingely oil gives exotic flavor to the dish. Always make the paste minimum one day in advance because it takes time to get all the taste blends into it.
- The taste of tamarind paste increases day by day.
- While mixing this paste into rice and making tamarind rice prepare the rice an hour before serving. This helps in the tanginess of the paste to blend well with rice.
Pulikachal is generally mixed with rice and made as Puli sadam/Tamarind rice. Puli Sadam and Fryams/Papad hold good as a travel menu. Tamarind rice can be served with, Boiled egg, Roasted coconut chutney, Potato StirFry and Potato egg stir fry goes well with this recipe. Will share these recipes soon 🙂