Fish Podimas/Fish burji
Fish Briyani, Fish Dum Briyani, Dum briyani
|Marination time: 30 Min||| Cook time: 45 min||| Total time:1.15 Hrs|
|Recipe type: Main Course||| Cuisine: Indian||| Yield / Serves: 2|
Salt to taste
chilli Powder – 2 teaspoon
coriander Powder – 2 tablespoon
Jeera Powder – 1 teaspoon
Fish steaks – 6
Salt to Taste
For Fish Fry:
Oil – 3 tablespoon
Capsicum – 1
Onion – 2
Tomato – 1
Coriander leaves – 1/3 cup
Mint leaves – 2 tablespoon + 2 tablespoon for final garnishing
Cashew – 10
Ginger Garlic Paste – 2 teaspoon
Turmeric Powder – 1/2 teaspoon
Red Chilli Powder – 1 teaspoon
Curd – 2 tablespoon
Bay Leaves – 3 small
Black stone Flower – 1
Cinnamon – 1 inch stick
Cloves – 3
Ghee -2 tablespoon
Salt to taste
For Cooking Rice:
Salt to taste
Basmati Rice – 1 Cup
Water – 3 Cups
Step by Step Photos on how to make Fish Dum Briyani :
- Add 3 cups of water in a pot and bring it to boil. Add the basmati rice into the water. Cook them upto 80 %. Drain the excess water and set the rice aside.
- Clean the fish steaks. Soak tamarind in water. Squeeze out the juice from tamarind. Mix all the ingredients in “For Marination” section above. Mix them with fish steaks and leave in refrigerator for at least 30 mins. After 30 mins shallow fry the fish in a tawa with 2 or 3 table spoon of oil. Make sure to fry the fish on both sides without breaking it.
- Remove the center portion of the capsicum and chop into smaller pieces. Chop one onion. Heat 1 teaspoon of cooking oil in a frying pan. Fry the onion until it turns golden brown and set aside. We are going to use this fried onion for the final garnishing.
- Take the Coriander and Mint Leaves. Puree them with minimum water. Heat ghee in a frying pan. Add Cinnamon, cloves, Bay leaves and the Blackstone flower. Saute until nice aroma comes out.
- Chop the second onion and add it. Saute until Glossy. Add the chopped tomatoes. Add salt, saute until mushy.
- Add Ginger Garlic Paste and saute it. Add Cashews and Capsicum and saute it.
- Add the Mint and Coriander paste, turmeric powder, redchilli powder and Saute it until raw smell leaves. A nice aroma comes out when the capsicum and the mint leaves blend together.
- Add in the curd and saute it for another 2 minutes. Now our masala is ready. Now the dum has to be prepared.
- I used my nonstick tawa. Heat the nonstick tawa. Place a Handi type vessel on top of it. Layer half of the rice on it. Now added the masala and the fried fish.
- Add the remaining rice on top of this. Add the remaining oil left out during fish fry. Now garnish with Roasted onion and remaining mint leaves. Close it with a tight lid. Simmer the flame for 30 minutes.
- After 30 minutes mix the mixture slowly. Or mix it only before serving. Flavoral and aromatic dum briyani ready.
- While frying the fish in a tawa make sure enough oil is there or the fish would stick to the tawa and might break. Or you may use a non stick pan
- Do not watste the remains after fish fry add it on top of the dum. It adds taste.
- Capsicum adds nice flavor to the briyani.