Rice Rava is fairly used in many south indian dishes. This is basically coarsely ground rice. Rice Rava is used to prepare Idli, upma, pongal Kozhukattai Here is a quick way on how to make Rice Rava at home. This is a basic kitchen preparation which can be prepared and stored which saves time and money. I have used raw red rice. (not parboiled rice). For any rice the recipe is same but the soaking time differs. Here goes the recipe…
Homemade Rice Rava
|Soaking time: 40 Min Approx||| Drying time: 1 Hr App||| Total time: 1 hr 40 Min|
|Recipe type: Kitchen Basics||| Cuisine: Indian||| Yield / Serves: 1 Cup|
Raw Rice – 1 Cup
Step by Step Photos on how to make Homemade Rice Rava:
- Soak rice in water for 40 min. Drain the excess water and spread it in a plate and leave to dry. If required use a muslin cloth and spread the rice in the muslin cloth. If required leave it under a fan until the moisture in the rice is dry. It must be in a consistency then when you touch the rice you must feel the chillness.
- Now at this stage add the rice into a blender/grinder and grind it into a coarse powder. Dry roast the Coarsely ground powder. The Rice Rava is now ready and it can now be used to make dosa, idli, upma or other dishes.
- The soaking time of rice differs between different variety of rice.
- Drying time of rice depends upon the climatic conditions available.
- Roasted Rice Rava keeps good for 10 days in room temprature. For best taste use the rice rava immediately.
How to use Rice Rava:
Rice Rava can be used to make Idli, dosa, Flavoured idli, Upma, Pongal Etc