Red Rice Puttu
|Banana Variety Used:|
|Prep time: 5 Min||| Cook time: 10 Min||| Total time:15 Min|
|Recipe type: Side Dish||| Cuisine: Indian||| Yield / Serves: 2|
Rice Flour – 1/2 Cup
Coconut Grated – as Required to layer
Water – 4 tablespoon
Ripe Banana – 1
Salt to Taste
Step by Step Photos on how to make Banana Puttu:
- Take the rice flour in a bowl. Add a generous pinch of salt and mix well. Sprinkle water in the flour and mix it. Make sure to remove the lumps as much as possible. Chop the banana into small pieces. My banana was extremely ripe so I could not make very small pieces.
- Take the Puttu Mold. Add the filter. Layer with a tablespoon of coconut.
- Next Layer with the chopped Banana. Layer with the Puttu flour. Again Layer with the Grated coconut.
- Meanwhile add enough water in the puttu pot and boil it. Once the steam starts coming out, place the puttu mold on top of it. Wait until the steam comes out of the lid on top of the puttu mold.
- Steam for 5 minutes in medium flame. After 5 minutes remove the puttu mold from the pot and keep aside for 5 minutes. Invert the puttu on to your serving bowl/plate.
- Tasty and nutritious Puttu Ready to serve.
- The amount of water depends on the type of flour.
- If the flour gets balls make sure to mash them. Else while steaming the balls become thick.
- Add only a pinch of salt do not add more salt.
- Do not use overripe banana.
Banana Layer Puttu can be served with Honey or Sugar or Jaggery Powder as a breakfast item.