Sweet Rava Pongal / Rava Sakkarai Pongal
Broken Wheat Sweet Pongal / Samba Gothumai Sakkarai Pongal
|Soak time: 10 Min||| Cook time: 20 Min||| Total time:30 Min|
|Recipe type: Sweet||| Cuisine: Indian||| Yield / Serves: 3|
Moong Dal – 3 tablespoon
Raw Rice – 1/2 Cup
Rock Sugar / Rock Candy / Kalkandu – 1/2 Cup
Ghee – 2 tablespoon
Cashews – 15
Milk – 1.5 Cup
Water – 1.5 Cup
Cardamom – 4
Step by Step Photos on how to make Kalkandu Pongal:
- Wash and soak raw rice in water for 10 minutes. Roast moong dal until nice aroma comes out.
- Add in the soaked Raw Rice into the roasted moong dal into a pressure cooker. Add in half cup of milk and 1.5 cup of water.
- Pressure cook for 3 whistles in medium flame. Switch off the flame and let the pressure cooker release pressure on its own. Open the pressure Cooker. Mix with a ladle. Add in the remaining milk. mix well and start heating again.
- Make the Rock sugar into powdered sugar in a blender. Add the powdered sugar into the pongal.
- After adding sugar the pongal gets watery. Add in cardamom. Keep cooking until all the moisture disappears and we get a thick pongal consistency.
- Top up with 1 tablespoon of ghee. Roast the cashews in the remaining ghee and add them into the pongal.
- Finally add some rocksugar and mix them once. Delicious and tasty Kalkandu pongal is now ready to serve.
- Garnishing with Rock Candy or Rock Sugar is completely optional, My little one liked it so i have used it.
- While roasting moong dal make sure not to burn it
- Soaking raw rice in water for 10 minutes is to make it soft.
- Pressure cook in a bigger pressurecooker so that it has enough space for the milk to boil.
- Adding cardamom powder is better then adding cardamom. I did not have cardamom powder so i had added cardamom and removed it at the end after the flavour was infused.
Kalkandu pongal can be served along with honey banana slices. It can also be served as a after meal dessert.