Kalkandu Pongal is another variation from regular Sakkarai(jaggery) Pongal. Milk is added to get in nice creamy pongal. Rock Sugar can also be substituted with refined sugar. Ghee is topped up at the end to make it even more tasty. Finally garnished with cashews. Serven Hot. Its simply awesome. Here goes the recipe...
Checkout Other Pongal Recipes
Sweet Rava Pongal / Rava Sakkarai Pongal
Broken Wheat Sweet Pongal / Samba Gothumai Sakkarai Pongal
|Soak time: 10 Min||| Cook time: 20 Min||| Total time:30 Min|
|Recipe type: Sweet||| Cuisine: Indian||| Yield / Serves: 3|
Ingredients:Moong Dal - 3 tablespoon
Raw Rice - 1/2 Cup
Rock Sugar / Rock Candy / Kalkandu - 1/2 Cup
Ghee - 2 tablespoon
Cashews - 15
Milk - 1.5 Cup
Water - 1.5 Cup
Cardamom - 4
Step by Step Photos on how to make Kalkandu Pongal:
- Wash and soak raw rice in water for 10 minutes. Roast moong dal until nice aroma comes out.
- Add in the soaked Raw Rice into the roasted moong dal into a pressure cooker. Add in half cup of milk and 1.5 cup of water.
- Pressure cook for 3 whistles in medium flame. Switch off the flame and let the pressure cooker release pressure on its own. Open the pressure Cooker. Mix with a ladle. Add in the remaining milk. mix well and start heating again.
- Make the Rock sugar into powdered sugar in a blender. Add the powdered sugar into the pongal.
- After adding sugar the pongal gets watery. Add in cardamom. Keep cooking until all the moisture disappears and we get a thick pongal consistency.
- Top up with 1 tablespoon of ghee. Roast the cashews in the remaining ghee and add them into the pongal.
- Finally add some rocksugar and mix them once. Delicious and tasty Kalkandu pongal is now ready to serve.
Every spoon full of heaven.
This is the add on. Out of the world...
- Garnishing with Rock Candy or Rock Sugar is completely optional, My little one liked it so i have used it.
- While roasting moong dal make sure not to burn it
- Soaking raw rice in water for 10 minutes is to make it soft.
- Pressure cook in a bigger pressurecooker so that it has enough space for the milk to boil.
- Adding cardamom powder is better then adding cardamom. I did not have cardamom powder so i had added cardamom and removed it at the end after the flavour was infused.
Kalkandu pongal can be served along with honey banana slices. It can also be served as a after meal dessert.