Jack Fruit Idli
Mini Masala Poori
Coconut Rava Upma
Steamed Rice and Banana Cake
Steamed Tapioca Cakes
Steamed Rice and Coconut Cakes / Puttu
|Soak time: 10 Min||| Cook time: 15 Min||| Total time:25 Min|
|Recipe type: Breakfast||| Cuisine: Indian||| Yield / Serves: 3|
|Taste: Mildly Sicy|
Raw Rice – 1 Cup
Split Moong Dal – 1/4 Cup
Water – 3.5 Cups
Salt – to taste
Green Chillis – 1 ( i havent added this)
Pepper – 1 teaspoon
Jeera – 1 teaspoon
Ghee – 2 tablespoon
Grated Ginger – 1 teaspoon
Cashews – 10
Asafoetida – a pinch
curry Leaves a Spring
Step by Step Photos on how to make Ven Pongal:
- Wash the rice and moong dal. Soak raw rice in water for 10 minutes. Dry roast moong Dal until nice aroma comes out. Add in the moong dal and rice into a pressure cooker with water and salt. Pressure cook for 4 whistles. Switch off the flame. Let the pressure release on its own
- Heat Ghee in a pan. Roast Cashews in ghee until golden brown. Add in contents listed under for tampering and saute them.
- Open the pressure Cooker. Mix the rice using a spoon. It mashes on its own. Add the Tampered mixture on top of the pongal and mix slowly.
- Serve Pongal hot with Tiffin Sambar and Coconut Chutney
- Ghee can be added at the end to make it even more flavourful.
- Sauting Jeera in Ghee gives in the key taste to the pongal. Take care not to burn it while sauting.
- If the pongal is water. Heat it again until you get the desired consistency.
- If the pongal is dry add in some water and cook them again until you get the desired consistency
- If you wish to have more spicy version grind pepper into a coarse powder and add it
Tastes when served hot with Coconut Chutney and Sambar.