Corn Wheat Porridge / CornMeal Wheat Gruel
Recipe type: Breakfast | Cuisine: Indian | Yield / Serves: 2
CornMeal / Corn Rava / Scrambled Corn – 1/2 Cup
Broken Wheat / Wheat Rava – 1/2 Cup
Split Green Gram / Moong Dal – 1/3 Cup
Salt – to taste
Water – 4 Cups
Oil – 1 tablespoon
Jeera – 1 teaspoon
Onion – 1 big
Curry Leaves – fistful
Green Chillis – 1
Step by Step Photos on how to make Corn Wheat Porridge / Corn Wheat Kichadi / CornMeal Wheat Gruel
- Wash and clean the ingredients. Add Wheat, Corn and Moong dal into a pressure cooker. Add Water and salt to taste. Cook in medium flame for 4 whistles. Switch off the flame and allow pressure to release on its own.
- Open the Pressure Cooker. If required add more water and heat it again. Heat oil in another pan. Add in jeera and allow it to splutter. Add in chopped onion.
- Saute the onion until glossy. Add in the curry leaves and green chillis and saute them.
- Add in the tampered mixture into the Porridge. Mix them gently
- Delicious and creamy porridge is now ready to serve.
- The tampering is the key step that brings in taste to the porridge so do not omit it.
- If you wish to add garlic then they can also be added while pressure cooking.
- While reheating do not add more water and make the porridge. Since we are going to add the tampering mixture a semi solid consistency would taste great.
- If the porridge gets watery heat it for few mins until the water disappears
- Corn meal can be replaced by regular sooji as well.
- I have used groundnut oil for tampering