Crispy Karela Chips / Bitter Gourd Chips
Recipe type: Snacks | Cuisine: Indian | Yield / Serves: 250 grams
Karela / BitterGourd – 250 grams
Salt – to taste
Sesame Seeds – 2 teaspoon
Chilli Powder – 1 teaspoon
Cumin Seed powder – 1/2 teaspoon
Besan / Gram Flour – 2 tablespoon
Corn Flour – 1 tablespoon
Oil – for deep frying
Step by Step Photos on how to make Crispy Karela Chips / Bitter Gourd Chips
- Wash the Bitter Gourd and pat them dry. Chop off the head and tail of the bitter gourd. Slice them into thin rings.
- Remove the seeds from them.
- Add Salt and set them aside for half an hour. This is used the draw the moisture from the bitter gourd. So it reduces the bitterness of the vegetable considerably. After 30 minutes wash them well and pat them dry. (I missed to click a picture in this step.) Add in Gram flour.
- Add in Corn Flour and Red Chilli Powder.
- Add in Salt and Cumin Seed Powder.
- Add in white sesame seeds. Sprinkle 2 tablespoon of water.
- Mix them gently. Make sure all the karela slices are coated with the batter. Heat oil in a frying Pan. Add in the Bitter Gourd Slices one by one into hot oil.
- Add in and fry until golden brown. Some of the greenish portion is still visible.
- Once done remove them from the oil and place them in an absorbent paper so that the excess oil gets absorbed.
Crunchy and Crispy Karela Chips is now ready to serve.
- Do no add more water or the batter would not coat properly.
- Add the Karela/Bitter Gourd slices into oil one by one or they would stick to each other.
- Adding in sesame seeds gives a nice flavour to the chips.