Vazhakkai Bajji / Raw Banana Bajji is a favourite tea time snack in Tamilnadu
- 1 Cup Besan / Gram Flour
- 2 Raw Banana
- Required Water
- Required Salt
- 1 Teaspoon Chilli Powder
- 1/2 Teaspoon Turmeric Powder
- Required Oil For Deep Frying
Add in Gram flour, Salt, Chilli Powder and Turmeric powder and mix them into a pasty consisteny by adding required water.
Chop the head and tail of the Raw Banana. Peel them. Make Thin slices from them.
Heat oil in a frying pan and get ready. When the oil is hot enough soak the banana slices in gram flour mixture and place them in hot oil and deep fry them both sides.
Once done take away out of the oil using a ladle and place them on an absorbant paper so that the excess oil is absorbed.
Serve them with Coconut Chutney or Tomato Sauce and Tea
- The Gram Flour batter must not be too thick or too watery. If it is watery it would not stick to the banana slices while dipping them in. If it is too thick the bajjis would be too heavy.
- The raw banana has a tendency to stain everything. Hence grease your hands, knife and the grater with oil before working with them.
- As soon as the banana is sliced start using them or they change color and get to dark.
- Cumin seeds / Jeera or Ajwain seeds can be added into the batter for extra flavour.
- The oil must be hot enough before frying the first slice. To test the temprature of oil, add in a drop of batter to the oil. If it sizzles and comes up immediately then the oil is ready.
- Deep fry the Bajjis in medium flame so that the bajjis cook well.
- Make thin slices of banana as it cooks quickly while deep frying.
- A generous pinch of Baking Soda can be added to make the bajjis fluffy. But this is completely optional.
Step by Step Photos on how to make Vazhakkai Bajji / Raw Banana Fritters
- Add in Gram Flour, Chilli Powder, Turmeric Powder and salt. Add required water and mix them into a smooth paste.
- Chop the head and tail of the banana. Peel them. Make thin slices using a knife or a grater.
- Start heating oil in a wok. Take a Banana slice and Dip in the gram flour batter on both sides.
- Add in the dipped in banana slices and deep fry them in medium flame.
Once done Take the bajjis out of oil and place them in an absorbant paper for the excess oil to be absorbed.
Enjoy the crispy and soft bajjis with tea as a evening snack