Aval Sakkarai Pongal / Poha Sweet Pongal is an easy alternate to the regular sakkarai pongal made during sakkarai pongal.
- 3/4 Cup Jaggery Powdered
- 1/2 Cup Water
- a Pinch Edible Champor
- 3 Cardamom
- 1/4 Cup Green Gram Dal
- 1 Cup Water
- 1 Cup Poha
- 3/4 Cup Water
- 2 Tablespoon Ghee
- 15 Cashew
- A Generous Pinch Salt
- 1/3 Cup Milk
Add in water and jaggery in a bowl and heating them. Add in Edible Champor and Cardamom. When the jaggery dissolves completely switch off the flame.
Cool down the mixture and drain for any impurities.
In another pan dry roast moong dal until nice aroma comes out.
Add in water until the dal cooks soft. Switch off the flame and set aside.
Add in Poha and water into a bowl and set aside for 10 minutes.
Heat ghee in a wok. Saute the cashews until golden brown. Remove them from ghee and set them aside.
In the same ghee add the soaked poha and saute them.
Add in cooked dal mixture, Milk, Jaggery syrup.
Cook until the mixture reaches the pongal consistency.
Switch off the flame and garnish with the roasted cashews and serve them.
- The Pongal thickens over time. So switch off the flame when the contents are a little watery.
- I have used Cows milk so i have added it along with jaggery syrup and cooked it. If using coconut milk add it at the end and cook only for few minutes.
- Dal can also be pressure cooked and used.
- I have used thick variety of Chamba Aval. If using thin variety there is no need to soak in water.
Step by Step Photos on how to make Aval Sakkarai Pongal / Poha Sweet Pongal
- Soak Poha/Aval in water for 10 minutes.
- Meanwhile add jaggery in water and start boiling. Add in Cardamom and edible champor. When the jaggery melts completely switch off the flame and strain the impurities if any.
- Dry roast moong dal/Green Gram dal until nice aroma comes out. Add in water and cook until the dal cooks mushy.
- Heat ghee in a wok add in cashews and saute them until they start browning. Remove the cashews and add in poha and saute them. Add in a generous pinch of salt. Add in the cooked dal mixture and milk. Add in the jaggery syrup. Cook until the pongal consistency is reached. Garnish with roasted cashews.
- Delicious Pongal is now ready to serve.