Wheat Payasam is another Kheer that can be prepared for Onam or any other occasion. Broken Wheat is used to prepare this payasam. Broken Wheat is cooked in jaggery sauce and Coconut Milk which in turn gives out an awesome taste to the Payasam. In addition Coconut Chunks and Cashews are roasted in ghee and garnished. This gives extra crunchiness to the Payasam. I prepared this Payasam last Saturday for the sake of posting it as a Onam recipe. Since this is a long week end me and all my siblings are present in moms place. What Next home would be the most happening place on earth. Happiness knew no bounds. Adding to the happiness i have delicious Payasam too. Before I could click the final pics sissy gulped it in no time. And said Simply delicious. Happy me:) But I had to prepare it again yesterday for the sake of clicking and posting here. Here goes the Recipe..
Broken Wheat Payasam
|Prep time: 5 Min||| Cook time: 30 Min||| Total time: 35 Min|
|Recipe type: Sweet||| Cuisine: Indian||| Yield / Serves: 4|
Step by Step Photos on how to make Broken Wheat Payasam:
- Wash the Broken Wheat well. Dry roast the wheat in a frying pan. Add the roasted wheat into a pressure cooker.
- Add 1 cup of water and pressure cook the wheat for 3 whistles in medium flame. Take the jaggery in a frying pan.
- Add the same amount of water and heat the mixture until all the jaggery dissolves in water. Cool down this mixture. Strain for impurities.
- Heat the pressure cooked Wheat mixture again. Add the jaggery water into the what and allow it to blend well. In the initial stage jaggery and wheat do not blend well. When when it cooks they blend well. Add in the thin coconut milk and start cooking.
- The thin coconut milk blends well with the wheat and cooks. If the mixture becomes too dry add in the required water. After the wheat is cooked well. Add in the thick coconut milk.
- Mix them well and cook in low flame for few mints until they blend well together. Take care that the coconut milk does not cuddle. Add 1 tablespoon of ghee. Cook for a minute and switch off.
- In another frying pan heat and roast the coconut chunks and cashews.
- Garnish the Payasam with roasted cashews and coconut chunks.
- Delicious Wheat Payasam is now ready.
- The Wheat Payasam is not too watery or too thick so adjust the consistency accordingly.
- While cooking Wheat in coconut milk the amount of water to be added depends upon the type of wheat used. So adjust the water accordingly. I have used Double Horse Samba Broken Wheat.
Wheat Paysasam is a Delicious Dessert..