Chiratta Puttu | Steamed Coconut and Rice Cakes
|Prep time: 10 Min||| Cook time: 20 Mmin||| Total time:30 Min|
|Recipe type: Breakfast||| Cuisine: Indian||| Yield / Serves: 2|
Red Rice Puttu Podi – 1 Cup
Coconut grated – 1/2 Cup
Powdered Jaggery – 3 tablespoon
water – 3 tablespoon
Salt – a Pinch
Step by Step Photos on how to make Chiratta Puttu:
- Take Puttu Podi and add a pinch of salt and mix it. Sprinkle water and mix it. So that it is slightly wet. Add the jaggery and mix it well.
- Take the Chiratta puttu mold. Do not forget to place the filter plate in the bottom. First add 1 tablespoon of coconut. Add the mixed puttu podi in the puttu mold.
- By the time add water into the puttu pot Close the puttu pot with its lid. Now place the puttu mold on top of the puttu pot. Topup the puttu batter with the a layer of coconut. Close the puttu mold.
- Steam for another 5 minutes. The steam comes out of the holes in the lid. A nice aroma of coconut and rice flour. Puttu is getting ready yummy.
- After 5 minutes remove the puttu mold from the puttu pot. Set it aside for 1 minute. Remove the lid and invert it on your plate. Wow Puttu is now ready to eat.
- The amount of water depends upon the type of puttu flour used.
- Do not unmold the puttu as soon as it is removed from the steam or it would not retain its shape.
- I have used red rice puttu flour available in the stores
Puttu is generally served along with Kadala Curry / Channa Gravy as a breakfast. My personal favourite is puttu with boiled green gram, banana and Papad.