[ Upma, Breakfast recipe ]
Coconut Upma Recipe
|Prep time: 5 Min||| Cook time: 10 min||| Total time: 15 min|
|Recipe type: Main Course||| Cuisine: Indian||| Yield / Serves: 2|
|Taste: Mildly Spicy and Salty|
Rava – 1 Cup
Water – 1 and 1/4 Cup
Cashews- 5 or 6
Oil/Ghee – 1 Tablespoon
Mustard – 1 teaspoon
Dry Red Chillies – 2
Curry Leaves – a Spring
Onion – 1 or Shallots- 5
Coconut – 1/4 cup
Step by Step Photos on how to make Coconut Upma:
- Dry roast the rava until the aroma of rava comes out. Make them crisp do not brown them. Set aside.
- Heat oil/Ghee in a frying pan. Add Mustard and allow them to splutter. Add the dry red chillies and roast it.
- Add Cashews and roast it until golden brown.
- Add onion and curry leaves and roast until the onion becomes glossy.
- Add Water and let it boil. Add salt to taste.
- Add the grated coconut and cook for 1 min in low flame.
- Add the roasted rava and keep stirring. Rava will absorb the water immediately. Do not add more water or rava will get pasty consistency.
- Crispy Coconut rava Upma is ready to eat.
- Rosting rava is the important step that adds taste to the upma.
- Extra ghee can be added at the end and mixed well for extra flavor.
Upma Can be had with Coconut Chutney or had plain as it is. It is a Breakfast recipe or a snack recipe. Enjoy hot upma with cup of Chai/Coffee. My Personal favorite is coconut upma with sugar/Jaggery Powder and banana.