Desiccated Coconut is used in making many Sweets and desserts. It is available in every super market. Sometimes when it is not available handy it can be easily prepared at home. Desiccated Coconut is creamy white in color and fresh in taste. It is simply dried coconut. It has more shelf life compared to coconut. Here goes the recipe…
Homemade Desiccated Coconut Powder
|Prep time: 20 Min||| Cook time: 20 Min||| Total time: 40 Min|
|Recipe type: DIY||| Cuisine: Indian||| Yield / Serves: 200grams|
|Taste: Mildly Sweet and Fresh taste|
Medium Coconut – 1
Step by Step Photos on how to make Homemade Desiccated Coconut Powder:
- Break Open the coconut. Remove the fleshy portion from the coconut. Remove the black skin from the coconut flesh and chop them into smaller pieces. Add them into a blender.
- Blend them into a fine powder. Heat a frying pan. Add the coconut powder and roast them. Keep stirring them patiently until the moisture dries away from the coconut. Take care that the coconut powder does not burn. When it reaches powdery consistency and is completely dry it is ready.
- Now the Desiccated coconut is ready to be used in a variety of dishes.
- Scraping the brown skin from the coconut is necessary.
- While blending the coconut pieces make sure there is no moisture in the coconut, if dry them using a paper towel, or we may not get the perfect coconut power
- While dry roasting the coconut take care that you do not burn the coconut keep stirring.
- Chop the Coconut pieces. Do not grate them as it is difficult to get rid of the moisture from the coconut.
Desiccated Coconut is used in many Sweets and Desserts.