Karupatti Paniyaram / Palm Jaggery Mini Pancakes is sweet breakfast or a filling snack.
- 1/2 Cup Raw Rice / Pacharisi
- 1/2 Cup Idli Rice
- 1/2 Cup Moong Dal / Pasi Paruppu
- 1/3 Cup Urad Dal / Ulandhu
- 1 Teaspoon Fenugreek Seeds
- 5 Cardamom
- 3/4 Cup Palm Jaggery Powdered
- Water as required
- salt to taste
Soak Urad Dal, Moong Dal, Raw Rice, Idli Rice and Fenugreek seeds for atleast 4 hours.
Drain the water and add them into a blender along with cardamom.
Heat palm jaggery and 1/4 cup water in a wok. Heat until the jaggery dissolves. Switch off the flame. Drain the jaggery water for any impurities. Allow this water to cool down completely.
Add this water into the blender along with the grains and blend them into a smooth paste.
Allow this to ferment overnight.
In the morning mix the batter gently for few times. Add in salt to taste.
Heat the Paniyaram pan. Grease with generous ghee or oil/.
Spoon in the batter. Cook on one side.
Change sides. Allow them to cook
Remove from the pan and serve paniyarams hot with other breakfast dishes.
- Fermenting the batter overnight gives nice softness to the Paniyaram.
- If preparing immediately then add in 1 teaspoon of cooking soda
- Cooking Soda helps in nice texture of the paniyaram.
- Cooking them in ghee gives nice aroma.
- If making instant paniyaram with this batter banana can be added into the batter for softness.
- If you wish to have sweeter paniyaram increase the amount of jaggery.
- I have added moderate sweetness.
- The batter must be a bit runny. Adjust the water accordingly.
Step by Step Photos on how to make Karupatti Paniyaram / Palm Jaggery Mini Pancakes
- Add in Palm Jaggery and Water into a sauce pan. Heat them until the jaggery dissolves completely.
- Soak Urad Dal, fenugreek seeds, Raw Rice, Idli Rice and Moong dal for 4 hours. Drain the excess water and add them into a blender. Add in cardamom. .
- Strain the jaggery water for any impurities. Cool this water. Use this water for blending the Grains. Blend them into a smooth paste. Allow them to ferment overnight. In the morning Gently mix them. Add in salt to taste.
- Heat the Kuzhi paniyaram pan. Grease them with generous Oil/Ghee.
- Spoon in the batter. Allow them to cook. Change sides and cook on the other side as well.
- Remove them from pan and serve hot with other breakfast dishes.