Murungaikai Puttu / Drumstick Pulp stir fry
Recipe type: Side Dish | Cuisine: Indian | Yield / Serves: 2
For Pressure Cooking Drumstick
Drumstick – 15
Water – as required
Salt – to taste
Turmeric Powder – 1/2 teaspoon
Oil – 1 tablespoon
Mustard- 1/2 teaspoon
Cumin Seeds – 1/2 teaspoon
Urad Dal – 1/2 teaspoon
Onion – 1 chopped
Curry Leaves – 2 or 3 springs
Garam Masala or Chilli powder – 1 teaspoon
Coconut – 2 tablespoon
Coriander Leaves – for garnishing
Salt – to taste
Step by Step Photos on how to make Murungaikai Puttu / Drumstick Pulp stir fry
- Chop the drumstick into 2 inch pieces and add them into a pressure cooker. Add enough water, salt and turmeric powder into the pressure cooker. Pressure cook for 3 whistles in medium flame or until the drumstick gets soft. Allow the pressure cooker to release pressure on its own. Open the pressure cooker. Allow it to cool down. Drain the water completely.
- Using a spoon, Remove the pulp from the drumsticks and discard the outer skin. Heat oil in a wok. Add in Mustard, Cumin seeds and Urad Dal. Allow them to splutter.
- Add onion and curry leaves and saute until glossy. Add in the drumstick pulp. Mix gently.
- Add in chilli powder/garam masala and salt to taste and keep sauting for 5 min in low flame.
- Add in coconut and gently mix them. Cook until the mixture is cooked well. Switch of the flame.
- Garnish with Chopped Coriander Leaves.
- While pressure cooking do not overcook or the drumsticks would get pasty consistency and difficult to extract the pulp.
- Urad dal can be replaced with fennel seeds. It gives a nice flavour.