Mushroom Gravy / Kalan Kuzhambu is a variation from the regular sambar.
- 200 Grams Button Mushroom
- 1 Tablespoon Oil
- 1 Teaspoon Mustard Seeds
- 1 Onion Chopped
- Fistful Curry Leaves
- 2 Green Chillis Slit
- Salt to taste
- 2/3 Teaspoon Turmeric Powder
- 1 Teaspoon Oil
- 1 Teaspoon Cumin Seeds
- 1 Teaspoon Fennel Seeds
- 4 Dry Red Chillis
- 1/2 Teaspoon Pepper
- 15 Cashews
- 3 Cardamom
- 1 inch Cinnamon
- 2 Cloves
- 2 Tablespoon Coriander Seeds
- 1/2 Cup Coconut
- 1 Big Tomato
- 10 Small Onion
Clean Button Mushroom and slice them.
Chop the onion into smaller pieces and set them aside.
For the Masala Heat oil in a wok. Add in all the ingredients except the vegetables and saute them. Add in coconut at last and saute for few seconds.
Heat 1 teaspoon oil in another wok and saute small onion and tomatoes. Once they are sauted, set them aside and allow them to cool down.
Add in the sauted spices, the onion tomato mixture and blend them into a smooth paste with minimum water.
Heat oil in a wok, add in mustard and allow them to splutter.
Add in onion and saute until glossy.
Add in curry leaves and green chillis. Add in mushroom and saute them for few minutes.
After the mushroom sauted add in the masala paste. Add in required water.
Allow them to boil. Add in turmeric powder and salt to taste.
Allow them to cook until the oil separates in the sides of the vessel.
Mushroom Gravy is now ready to serve.
- Using small onion for sauting and grinding gives a good taste to the recipe.
- Mint leaves can be added to this gravy if adds in some flavour to the gravy.
- Chilli powder and Coriander powder can be added instead of roasting.
But roasting adds in nice aroma.
Step by Step Photos on how to make Mushroom Gravy / Kalan Kuzhambu
- Wash and clean mushrooms. Slice the mushrooms. Chop all the veggies to be used for the gravy.
- Heat oil in a wok. Add in the ingredients mentioned under roast and grind and saute them.
- Heat oil in a wok. Add in peeled small onion and saute them.
- Add in chopped tomatoes and salt. Saute until the tomatoes are mushy. Switch off the flame and set them aside.
- Heat oil in another wok and add in mustard and allow them to splutter. Add in onion, Curry leaves and green Chillis and saute them until the onion gets glossy. Add in the chopped mushrooms.
- Cook until the mushrooms are cooked well. Meanwhile blend the ingrendients to be blended into a smooth paste.
- Add in the blended paste. Add in water. Bring them to boil.
- When the gravy starts boiling add in turmeric powder and salt to taste. Close the wok and cook until the gravy is cooked or until oil seperated in the sides of the vessel.
- Mushroom Gravy is now ready to serve.