Mutton gravy one of my favourite recipe. This is one another recipe that i really loved from my moms cooking. The masala for this gravy is ground fresh and the that makes the mutton gravy flavoral. The flavour is simply tempting and makes me even more hungry. Mutton is cooked with onion and tomato and cocount and is added in with freshly ground spices and tampered with curry leaves, this process makes the mutton gravy full of flavors. This Curry is generally suitable for preparing with mutton bones. When i cook this gravy i seperate the juicy pieces of mutton and make them into Mutton Masala and the bones for this tasty Mutton Gravy. I am sure you will enjoy the gravy. Happy Cooking. Here goes the recipe…
Mutton Gravy goes well with Steamed rice, Chapati, Roti, Idli, Dosa, Idiyappam, Appam. I have served this Mutton gravy with steamed rice, and Mutton Masala.
- 1/2 KG Mutton Pieces
- 10 Shallots
- 1 Teaspoon Turmeric Powder
- 2 Tablespoon oil
- 1/2 Teaspoon Mustard
- 5 Shallots
- Curry Leaves Fistful
- 2 Tablespoon Ginger Garlic Paste
- 3/4 Cup Coconut Grated
- 1 Tablespoon Fennel Seeds
- 3 Tablespoon Coriander Seeds
- 4 Dry Red Chillis
- Salt To Taste
- 2 Medium Tomatoes
Step by step photos on how to make Home Style Mutton Gravy / Mutton Kuzhambu:
- Dry Roast Fennel Seeds, Coriander Seeds and dry red chillis separately.
2. Grind them into a fine powder.
3. Wash the Mutton Pieces. I generally separate the bones and juicy pieces and use the bones for this recipe and use the juicy pieces into Mutton Masala
4. Add Mutton, Onion, Tomato, Turmeric Powder and Salt into a pressure cooker. Add water upto the level of mutton. Pressure cook for 5 whistles. Reduce the flame after the first whistle. Switch off the flame after 5 whistles. Wait until the pressure releases on its own. Open the pressure cooker. You can see some water still remaining.
5. After opening the pressure cooker, Start Cooking this once again. Add Ginger Garlic Paste. Add Coconut into a blender with only limited water adn make a paste. Add this coconut paste into the gravy. Cook for 5 minutes. Then add the freshly ground masala.
6. Cook until the raw smell of the masala leaves and blends well with the curry. Cook until the oil starts seperating in the sides of the cooking Pan. Meanwhile in another pan start preparing the tampering Mixture. Add oil in a frying pan. Add mustard and allow it to splutter.
7. Add onion and saute it well. Add Curry leaves. Add the tampering mixture on top of the gravy.
8. Yummy and Flavoral Mutton curry is now ready to serve.