Squid Masala / Kanava aviyal / Calamari Masala is a thick gravy type recipe that goes well with steamed rice and rotis. Squid is actually a variety of seafood that is really tasty and healthy. Squid can be consumed by people of all age groups. When you want to prepare something delicious for a party or special occasion then Squid Masala Fry is a good option. Squid has multiple health benefits. It is low in calories. Its a good source of protein, selenium and vitamin E.
Squid Masala / Kanava aviyal / Calamari Masala is a delicious and interesting side dish with rice or roti. It can be consumed by anyone from kids to old.
- 500 Grams Squid / Kanava
- 3 Tablespoon Oil
- 1 Teaspoon Cumin Seeds
- 2 Bay Leaves
- 1 Onion Big Chopped
- 2 Tablespoon Ginger Garlic Paste
- 1 Teaspoon Fennel Seeds
- Curry Leaves fistful
- 2 Tomatoes Medium Chopped
- 1 Teaspoon Turmeric Powder
- 1 Teaspoon Red Chilli Powder
- 1 Teaspoon Garam Masala Powder
- 2 Teaspoon Coriander Powder
- Salt To Taste
Wash the squid. Remove the waste from the squid.
Remove the bones from the squid.
Remove the outer skin from the squid.
Chop them. Set them aside.
Heat oil in a wok. Add in cumin seeds and fennel seeds and saute for 30 seconds.
Add in Bay Leaves and saute for 30 seconds.
Add in Chopped onion and Curry Leaves and saute until the onion gets glossy.
Add in Ginger Garlic Paste and saute until nice aroma comes out.
Add in tomatos and salt to taste and saute until mushy.
Add in the chopped squid. Cook until they are cooked well. Squid releases water in its own so add water only if required.
Add in turmeric powder, Chilli powder, Coriander Powder and Garam Masala.
Cook until masalas blend well.
Delicious and Yummy Squid Masala is now ready to serve.
- The while peeling the skin is a bit sticky. So wet you hands then and there, so it gets easy to peel.
Step by Step Photos on how to make Squid Masala / Kanava aviyal / Calamari Masala
- Wash squid until the blokish liquid is removed.
2. The squid looks like this.
3. Remove the head portion.
4. Remove the contents inside the squid.
4. Remove the bone in the one side of the squid.
5. Peel the skin.
6. Remove the eyes and the black portion around it.
7. Turn the head portion upside down. Press them firm and remove a small black portion with its tail.
8. Peel the outer skin from the limbs as well. Chop them into smaller pieces.
9. Chop the squid into small pieces.
10. Heat oil in a wok. Add in cumin seeds and bay leaves. Saute for 30 seconds. Add in onion and saute until glossy. Add in Curry leaves and saute them. Add in Fennel seeds. (i missed to add fennel seeds along with cumin seeds hence i have added it now.
11. Add in ginger garlic paste and saute for few minutes. Add in Tomato and saute them.
12. Add in salt to taste and saute until the tomatoes get mushy. Add in the chopped Squid.
13. Add water only of required. Squid releases lot of water. Close the wok and cook until the squid is cooked for 90 %.
14. Add in Turmeric powder, Coriander powder, Chilli Powder and Garam Masala Powder. Keep Cooking. Cook until the masalas blend well.
15. Delicious Squid Masala is now ready to serve.