|Prep time: 20 Min||| Cook time: 15 Min||| Total time: 35 Min|
|Recipe type: Side Dish||| Cuisine: Indian||| Yield / Serves: 2|
|Taste: Mildly spice with the strong flavour from the fish|
Ribbion Fish – 250 grams
Turmeric Powder – a generous pinch
Salt – to taste
Tamarind – amla sized
Water – as required
Coconut – 2 tablespoon
Coriander Powder – 1 teaspoon
Red Chilli Powder – 1/2 teaspoon
Jeera Powder – 1/2 Teaspoon
Oil – 1 tablespoon
Mustard – 1 teaspoon
Split White Urad Dal – 1 teaspoon
Coriander Leaves – 2 tablespoon chopped
Step by Step Photos on how to make Steamed and Shredded Fish:
- Wash and clean the Ribbion fish. Add them into a Pan. I have used earthenware pot.
- Soak tamarind in water for 10 minutes. Squeeze out the water and extract the juice out of it. Discard the tamarind. Add the tamarind juice into the fish.
- Add in the turmeric powder, Salt. Cook this for 10 minutes. Cool down the fish.
- Remove all the fish bones from the fish and shred them. This is the most time consuming job. Heat oil in a pan. Add in Mustard and Urad dal. Let them splutter. Add in the onion and saute them.
- Saute them until glossy. Add the scrambled fish and coconut into the onion. Saute in low flame for 3 to 4 minutes. Add in the masalas, Chilli Powder, Coriander Powder, Jeera powder and a pinch of turmeric powder.
- Mix them well and saute until the raw smell is gone. Garnish with coriander leaves.
- Cooking this in a earthenware pot gives more flavour but this is completely optional.
- Shark and Ribbion Fish are suitable for this recipe.
Fish podimas is enjoyed as a side dish with Fish Curry. I can also be enjoyed as an any time snack.