Urad Dal Pongal is a Variation from the Traditional Ven Pongal and an easy and Healthy Breakfast option.
- 3/4 Cup Red Rice
- 1/3 Cup Urad Dal
- Required Salt
- 4 Cups Water
- 2 Tablespoon Ghee
- 1.5 Teaspoon Cumin Seeds
- 1.5 Teaspoon Pepper
- 2 Green Chillis
- Fistful Curry Leaves
- 1.5 Tablespoon Ginger Grated
- 15 Cashews
Soak Red Rice and Urad Dal for 2 hours.
Add Rice, Urad Dal with water and salt in a pot and cook until mushy. If using Pressue cooker then Pressure cook for 5 whistles in medium flame.
Heat Ghee in a wok.
Add in Cumin Seeds, Pepper, Green Chillis, Cashews, Curry Leaves and Grated Ginger and saute them until nice aroma comes out.
Add the tampered mixture into the pongal.
Healthy pongal recipe is now ready to serve.
- Milk Can also be added for a nice and richer taste.
- While cooking if the pongal mixture gets too dry then add more water.
- Pongal is not too watery or too dry so adjust the consistency accordingly.
Step by Step Photos on how to make Urad Dal Pongal
- Soak Red Rice and Urad Dal for 2 hours.
- Add Rice and Dal into a bowl with water and salt and cook until mushy. If using a pressure cooker them pressure cook for 5 whistles in medium flame.
- Heat Ghee in a wok. Add in Cumin Seeds and Pepper.
- Add in Cashews, Curry Leaves, Green Chillis and Grated Ginger and saute until nice aroma comes out. Switch off the flame.
- Add the tampered mixture into the Pongal. Gently mix them.
- Healthy Pongal is now ready to serve.