Pasi Paruppu Payasam is a simple, easy and healthy dessert.
Dry roast Split moong Dal until nice aroma come out.
Add in required water and pressure cook until the moong dal cooks well. I have pressure cooked for 3 whistles in medium flame. Switch off the flame and allow the pressure cooker to release pressure on its own.
Open the pressure cooker and mash the dal using a ladle or hand blender.
Add in Jaggery and thin coconut milk and keep cooking until the mixture blends well.
parallely cook Sago with enough water until soft.
Add in the cooked sago into the dal mixture. give a quick stir.
Add in the thick coconut milk. Cook for 2 minutes in low flame.
Finally dry roast nuts and dry fruits in ghee and add them into the payasam.
Delicious and creamy payasam is now ready to serve.
- While dry roasting Moong dal make sure not to burn it or it would spoil the taste of payasam. Keep stirring while dry roasting.
- If you like to have few chunks of dal in the payasam them omit the step of mashing the dal.
- I have limited the addition of ghee. Adding more ghee would make the payasam more delicious.
- Any choice of nuts and dey fruits can be roasted and added into the payasam.
- Addition of sago is completely optional.
- Do not cook for more time after adding thick coconut milk or the payasam would cuddle.
Step by Step Photos on how to make Pasi Paruppu Payasam / Moong Dal Kheer
- Dry roast moong dal until nice aroma comes out.
- Add in required water and pressure cook upto 3 whistles in low flame. Switch off the flame and allow the pressure cooker to release pressure on its own. Open the pressure cooker mash the dal with a ladle or hand blender. Add in jaggery.
- Add in thin coconut milk and keep cooking until they blend well. Add in cardamom.
- Cook Sago with required water until soft.
- Add in the cooked sago and the thick coconut milk. Give a quick stir. Cook in low flame for 2 minutes and switch off the flame. Roast cashews in ghee until golden brown and garnish them.
- Simple and delicious moong dal kheer is now ready to serve.