Aval Payasam or Red Rice Poha Kheer is a recipe that suits any season. I have used Red Rice Poha. This is an idea to add little more nutrition and taste too. Poha is roasted in ghee. beaten in a blender and cooked in milk and ghee. Finally garnished with nuts. This payasam saves time. Unlike Pal Payasam it is prepared in very less time. It tastes awesome. Here goes the recipe…
Aval Payasam / Red Rice Poha Payasam
- ¾ Cup Red Rice Poha / Aval
- 1.5 Cup Milk
- 1 Tablespoon Ghee
- ½ Teaspoon Cardamom Powder
- ¼ Cup Sugar
- Nuts For Garnishing
- Add milk in a pan and bring it to boil. Set it aside.
- Heat Ghee in a pan. Add in Almonds and roast them for a minute. Remove them from ghee and set it aside.
- In the same ghee add in poha and roast them for a minute.
- Add in the boiled milk and cook them.
- Add in sugar and cook until the poha is cooked soft.
- Add in cardamom and keep cooking. Switch off the flame and finally garnish with roasted cashews.
- If using thick Variety of Aval then after roasting in aval pulse in the blender. Then cook them further.
- This Payasam thickens by time. So if needed add in more milk before serving.
Checkout other Kheer / Payasam Recipes Available in this space
Step by step photos on how to make Aval Payasam / Red Rice Poha Payasam:
- Add in milk in to a pan and bring it to boil. set it aside.
2. Heat ghee in another wok. Add in sliced almonds and roaste them for a mintes. Remove the Almond and set them aside.
3. Add in Poha and roast them. When they are roasted for a minute add in the boiled milk. Cook them untilt the poha is cooked soft.
4. Add in Sugar and stir until they dissolve. Add in Cardamom powder and give a quick stir.
5. When the Payasam starts thickening switch off the flame and add the roasted almonds.
Delicious Payasam is now ready to serve.
Nava K says
I'm not sure if red poha is available over here, but if it is, I will immediately dive into this recipe. Bookmarked.
Priya Santhamohan says
My all time favorite...