BeetRoot Payasam, Technically called as Red Velvette Payasam when it comes to make my little girl eat. Beetroot gives a beautiful pinkish tint to the kheer. Beetroot gives a slight buttery and salty taste to the kheer. Yes it is a delicious twist. Addition of Vermicelli gives more texture to the kheer.
Beetroot Payasam / Beetroot Payasam
Beetroot Payasam / Beetroot Payasam is a colorful dessert.
- ¾ Cup Beetroot Grated
- 1.5 Cups Milk
- ½ Cup Sugar
- 1 Teaspoon Rose Water
- 2 Tablespoon Ghee
- Nuts for Garnishing
- ½ Cup Vermicelli/ Semiya Roasted
- Peel and Grate Beetroot.
- Heat ghee in a wok. Roast the ruts and set them aside.
- In the same ghee add in the grated beetroot and roast them until they are cooked well.
- Add in Milk and bring it to boil.
- Add in the roasted vermicelli. Cook until the vermicelli cooked well.
- Add in rose water and give it a quick stir.
- Garnish with the roasted nuts and switch off the flame.
- Delicious Beetroot semiya payasam is now ready to serve.
- Beetroot must be sauted well before adding the milk.
- Any choice of nuts can be added.
- Sugar can be replaced with condensed will. It completely gives out a great taste.
- I have used fine varitey vermicelli so it cooked easily. If using thick variety them add ½ cup more milk and cook until the vermicelli is cooked soft.
- I have used roasted vermicelli. If using non roasted variety then roast the vermicelli seperately in ghee and then add them into the payasam.
- Rose water can be replaced with Cardamom powder or vanilla extract.
Step by Step Photos on how to make Beetroot Payasam / Beetroot Kheer
- Heat ghee in a wok add in cashews and saute them until golden brown remove them from ghee and set them aside.
- In the same ghee add in Beetroot and saute until the raw smell goes off.
- Add in milk.
- Let the milk boil.
- Add in Semiya/Vermicelli. Give a quick stir.
- Add in Sugar. Cook until they blend well.
- Add in Rose water and give a quick stir.
- Add in roasted cashews and switch off the flame.
- Beetroot Vermicelli Kheer is now ready to serve.
- Beetroot Semiya payasam can be served Chilled too.