Sambar is a definite part of south indian cooking. There are many different recipes for Sambar. The recipe that i have shared here is an easy and quick method to make Sambar. Capsicum is an extra addition. The vegetables are cooked together in a pressure cooker and capsicum is roasted added at the end which gives an awesome flavour to the sambar. The goodness of toor dal and assorted vegetables, it is nutritious. The flavor of Capsicum makes the sambar tastier. Here Goes the recipe...
Capsicum Sambar Recipie shared here is a tiffin sambar variety can be Served as a side dish with Idli, Dosa, Pongal, Upma, Vada etc. Sambar can be served along with other side dishes like Coconut Chutney and Sesame Chutney/Ellu Podi
Toor Dal - ½ cup
Tomato - 2 small
Onion - 1 big
Potato - 2 Small
Green Chillies - 1
Sambar Powder - 2 tsp
Turmeric Powder - 2 Pinch
Asafoetida- 2 Pinch
Salt - To taste
Oil - 1tblspn
Jeera - 1 tsp
Capsicum - 1 Medium
Brinjal - 1 Medium
- Wash toor dal well and set side.
- Cut all the Vegetables and set aside.
- Add Toor Dal, Onion, tomato, green chillies, potato, turmeric powder, sambar powder, asafoetida, salt and add required water into a pressure cooker. Cook for 3 whistles. After the first whistle, simmer the flame. After 3 whistles switch off the flame. Let the pressure release on its own.
- Cut open the capsicum remove the centre portion. Chop Capsicum into small pieces and set aside. Cut brinjal into small pieces and set aside.
- Add oil in a Kadai. Add jeera and roast until nice aroma comes out, when jeera roasts add Brinjal and roast it. When it is 50% cooked add capsicum and roast well.
- Open the pressure cooker and mash the cooked mixture using a laddle or hand blender. Add the roasted capsicum mixture into the sambar mixture. Capsicum Sambar ready. Serve hot with idli, dosa, Vada, Upma , Pongal etc.
- Cut the capsicum into tiny pieces so that is cooks faster.
- Cut Brinjal only before roasting or the color of brinjal changes which might spoil the taste.
Enjoy the flavoral Capsicum Sambar ...
[Sambar, Sambar Recipe, Capsicum Sambar, Tiffin Sambar ]