Carrot Beans Sambar is another variation in sambar. Sambar is a lentil stew. The variation comes from the vegetables added and the masalas used. The carrot and beans sambar is one easy sambar. It goes well with steamed rice and any stir fry recipe. Checkout other sambar recipes for rice in my space.
Carrot Beans Sambar
Carrot Beans Sambar is a lentil curry to be served with rice
For Pressure Cooking
- ½ Cup Toor Dal
- 1 Cup Water
- 1 Teaspoon Salt
- 5 Pods Garlic
- 2 Tablespoon Oil
- 1 Teaspoon Mustard
- ½ Teaspoon Cumin Seeds
- ½ Teaspoon Urad Dal
- 8 Shallots
- ½ Teaspoon Asafoetida Powder
- Curry Leaves Fistful
- 1 medium Tomato
- 1 Carrot
- 5 Beans
- Tamarid Amla sized
- 1.5 Tablespoon Sambar Powder
- Water as Required
- Add in toor dal , turmeric powder, Salt and garlic into a pressure cooker with required water. Pressure cook for 4 whistles. Switch off the flame. Allow the pressure cooker to release pressure on its own.
- Open the pressure cooker. Mash with a ladle. Set it aside.
- Heat oil in a wok. Add in mustard, cumin seeds, urad dal and dry red chillis. Saute until the mustard splutters.
- Add in asafoetida powder.
- Add in onion and curry leaves and saute until glossy.
- Add in tomatoes and salt to taste. Saute until mushy.
- Add in Chopped carrot and beans.
- Cook until the vegetables are half cooked.
- Soak tamarind in water for 10 minutes.
- Extract the pulp and discard the waste.
- Add in the tamarind water. cook until the veggies are cooked well.
- Add in the mashed dal and sambar powder and cook until the masalas blend well.
- Flavourful sambar is now ready to serve.
- while cooking veggies if the mixture is very dry sprinkle some water.
- If the sambar is very thick add in water to adjust the consistency.
Step by Step Photos on how to make Carrot Beans Sambar
- Wash and clean toor dal. Add them into a pressure cooker. Add in garlic, turmeric powder and salt. Add in required water.
- Pressure cook for 4 whistles. Switch of the flame and allow the pressure cooker and allow them to release pressure on its own. Open the pressure cooker. Mash the dal with a ladle. set them aside.
- Heat oil in a wok. Add in mustard, cumin seeds and Urad dal. Add in dry red chillis. Saute them. Add in chopped onion and curry leaves. Saute them until glossy. Add in asafoetida powder and saute them.
- Add in tomatoes and salt to taste and saute until the tomatoes are mushy.
- Add in chopped carrot and beans and saute them until the veggies are half cooked.
- Soak tamarind in water for 10 minutes. Mash and squeeze the pulp and discard the waste. Add the tamarind water. Cook for 5 minutes or until the veggies or cooked.
- Add in cooked dal and sambar powder. Add water. Cook until the masalas blend well.
- Flavoural sambar is now ready to serve.
- Sambar can be served with steamed rice and any stir fry recipe.