Coconut Chicken Curry is one among the delicious chicken curry recipes. It is prepared by simmering the chicken pieces in the freshly roasted and ground masala paste and coconut. This curry has a creamy texture and is full of flavor. This is a beginner friendly recipe.
Oil - We want an oil to saute our sauteables in, I love the flavor from Gingelly oil in a recipe like this. You can also use coconut oil which gives a nice coconut flavour to the curry. Even Ghee is a good option.
Chicken: Bone in chicken is suitable for this recipe or any gravy recipes as it gives richer taste to the curry.
Onion - Chopped up and ready to be sautéed till perfectly translucent.
- Take the washed and cleaned chicken slices in a bowl. Add in Lemon Juice and Turmeric Powder.
2. Add in Chilli powder and salt to taste.
3. Add in Ginger garlic paste. Mix them gently and allow it to marinate for at least 30 minutes.
4. In a small pan add in Fennel Seeds, Cloves.
5. Add in Cardamom and Cinnamon.
6. Add in Bay Leaves and black Pepper
7. Add in dry red chilli and roast it for some time. Make sure to roast them carefully to not to change the color of the ingredients.
8. Add in the coconut roast for only 1 minute in low flame. Switch off the flame. Allow this mixture to cool down completely.
9. Add the mixture into the blender and add only limited water.
10. Blend them into a smooth paste. Set it aside.
11. Heat oil in a sauce pan. Add in Cumin seeds and roast them.
12. Add in onion and saute until they get glossy. Add in tomatoes and saute until they get mushy.
13. Add in the chicken and mix gently. Close the saucepan and cook until the chicken is cooked tender.
14. Add in curry leaves and the masala paste and keep cooking.
15. Cook until the masalas blend well. Switch off the flame.
Roasted Coconut Chicken Curry is now ready to serve.
Coconut Chicken Curry
- 500 grams Chicken
- 2 tbsp Lemon Juice
- ¼ tsp Turmeric Powder
- 2 tsp Chilli Powder
- 1 tbsp Ginger Garlic Paste
- Salt to taste
- 2 tsp Fennel Seeds
- 3 Cloves
- 2 Cardamom
- 1 inch Cinnamon Stick
- 2 Bay Leaves
- 1 tsp Black Pepper
- 3 Dry Red Chillis
- ⅓ Cup Coconut Grated
- 2 Tablepsoon Oil
- 1 tsp Cumin Seeds
- 2 Tomato
- 2 Spring Curry Leaves
- 1 Tomato
- Take washed and cleaned chicken in a mixing bowl.
- Add in Turmeric Powder, Chilli Powder, Salt, lemon Jucice and Ginger garlic paste and mix them together.
- Leave it aside and let it marinate for atleast 30 minutes.
- In a pan add in fennel seeds, Cloves, Cardamom, Black Pepper, Dry Red Chillis, Bay leaves and roast until nice aroma comes out.
- Add in the coconut and roast only for 1 minute. Switch off the flame.
- Let it cool down completely. Add it into a blender and add only limited water. Blend into a smooth paste.
For chicken Curry
- Heat oil in a wok. Add in cumin and allow it to splutter.
- Add in chopped onion and saute until glossy.
- Add in chopped tomato and saute until mushy.
- Add in the marinated chicken and cook them.
- Cover the wok and cook until the chicken is cooked soft. Stir occasionally.
- Add in Curry leaves and the Coconut paste.
- Cook until the masalas blend well.
- Yummy coconut Chicken Curry is now ready to serve.
This Coconut Chicken Curry recipe is incredibly easy to customize! Feel free to add vegetables like Potato, Green Peas if your family loves!
you can skip roasting and blending spices, instead you can your homemade masala powders or garam masala
Why it works
- Marination is the key step that brings in taste to the recipe.
- Curry leaves can also be replaced with coriander leaves.
- If you want to make the gravy a little thinner, then add in extra water and adjust the consistency.
- Using bone-in chicken pieces gives nice taste to a simple curry.
- Toasting whole spices for the spice paste enhances their flavors.
Are you looking for new and exciting ways to serve Roasted Coconut Chicken Curry Below are a few of my family’s favorite ways to enjoy this recipe!
- Stovetop - Transfer the Chicken Curry to a sauce pot Place the skillet over medium heat orlow heat stirring occasionally until hot - you make add some water in the beginning it the gravy is thick.
- Microwave - Add a quantity of Chicken Curry to a microwave safe container add a splash of water. Reheat for 45 second intervals stirring in between until the chicken curry is hot.
What to serve with Coconut Chicken Curry?
Idli or Dosa - Coconut Chicken Curry tastes great when served as a side dish along with idli or dosa in Breakfast or dinner.
Steamed Rice - It can also be served with steamed rice and chicken roast recipes like Chicken Roast, as lunch menu.
Chapathis - It can be served in dinner along with Chapathi or bread slices. You can also serve raitha in the side to complete this meal.
Bread Slices - When i have leftover Chicken Curry from the previous day the next day morning we used to reheat it and serve alongside bread slices.
Like many other recipes Coconut Chicken Curry tastes best when consumed fresh. However you can reheat it as long as you do it. Curry should be safely sealed in an airtight container and refrigerated for 2 days.