Coconut Rava Upma / Sooji Upma – This is an easy and quick breakfast recipe. Upma is generally made with Rava(Cream Of Wheat), Rice, Broken Wheat or Semolina. Upma comes handy when we have no idea on what to make for breakfast on a weekday. and banana. I am sharing the Basic rava upma version here. I love having it with sugar/jaggery powder. There are many versions of preparing Upma i am sharing my version. This is a grainy and sweet version. We generally have it with banana and Jaggery powder.
Coconut Rava Upma / Sooji Upma is a simple and easy breakfast
- 1 Cup Rava / Sooji /Semlina
- 11/4 Cup Water
- 2 Tablespoon Broken Cashews
- 1 Tablespoon Ghee
- 1/2 Teaspoon Mustard
- 4 Dry Red Chillis
- 2 Spring Curry Leaves
- 3 Small Onion
- 1/4 Cup Coconut Grated
- Salt to taste
Roast sooji in a pan and dry roast them. Roast until the color starts changing. Transfer to a plate and set it aside.
Heat ghee in the same wok.
Add in mustard and allow them to splutter.
Add in the broken cashews and saute them.
Add in onion and curry leaves and saute them.
Add in water, salt to taste and grated coconut and bring it to boil.
Add in the roasted Sooji. The water is absorbed. Stir for few minutes.
Switch off the flame and serve upma.
- This version of upma is a bit grainy so dry roast until the color starts changing. We are going to add only limited water so roasting well is a key step.
- Add in grated coconut into the water infuses and give a nice taste to the upma.
- I like to add more dry red chillis as it adds a slight spice to the upma.
Step by step photos on how to make Coconut Rava Upma / Sooji Upma:
- Add in the sooji/ Rava into a pan and dry roast it.
2. Keep roasting until the color starts changing. Transfer to another plate.
3. Heat ghee in the same wok. Add in mustard and allow them to splutter.
4. Add in broken cashews and saute them. Add in onion and saute until glossy.
5. Add in curry leaves and saute them. Add in dry red chillis. saute for few minutes.
6. Add in water and grated coconut. Bring it to boil now the coconut infuses with water.
7. Add in the roasted sooji.
8. Keep stirring until the water evaporates. Switch off the flame.
Coconut Rava Upma is now ready to serve.