Curd Rice is my Comfort Food. I Love to have curd rice with Potato StirFry or Egg Potato StirFry at any time. Mom Packs this combination for us sometimes in Lunch. Curd Rice from moms hands have a special taste. Of Course blended with some love. Curd rice can be made in few minutes. Since it is very light it best suits to be a travel food recipe. Curd is mixed with rice and seasoned with Dry Chillies and Curry Leaves. To make the seasoning even more joyful pomegranate, black grapes can be added. I did not want to make the curd rice sweet so i did not add any fruits to the seasoning. Curd rice is present in any meal, functions for the finishing touch. Curd Rice is a very common dish in the South Indian Cuisine. Click here to Checkout Other Travel food/Lunch Box Recipes available in this space.
Curd Rice / Thayir Sadam
- ½ Cup Parboiled Rice
- 1.5 Cups Water
- Salt to Taste
- 1 Tablespoon Oil
- ½ Teaspoon Mustard
- ½ Teaspoon Urad Dal
- 2 Dry Red Chillis
- 1 Green Chilli Chopped
- 1 Spring Curry Leaves
- ½ Teaspoon Ginger Grated
- ¼ Cup Carrot Grated
- ½ Cup Curd
- ½ Cup Milk
- 1 Tablespoon Butter
- Wash and clean the rice.
- Add it into a pressure cooker and add in water.
- Close the pressure cooker and cook in medium flame for 4 whistles.
- Switch off the flame and allow the pressure to release on its own.
- Open the pressure cooker. Add in salt to taste. Mash the rice using a ladle. Set them aside.
- Heat oil in a wok. Add in Mustard and Urad Dal and allow them to splutter.
- Add in dry red chillis. Add in Curry Leaves. Add in Green Chillis. Saute them.
- Add in Grated Ginger. Add in Grated Carrot.
- Saute for 30 seconds and switch off the flame.
- After 2 minutes add in the Curd and Milk.
- Mix gently and add this mixture immediately into rice.
- Add in butter and mix gently.
- Nice and Creamy Curd Rice is now ready to serve.
- Mash the rice when it is hot.
- If you are packing the Rice for Lunch then increase the milk quantity and reduce the curd quantity.
Step by Step Photos on how to make Curd Rice / Thayir Sadam:
- Wash and clean the rice. Add it into a pressure cooker. Add in water. Pressure cook for 4 whistles in medium flame. switch off the flame and allow the pressure cooker to release pressure on its own.
2. Open the pressure cooker. Add in salt to taste. Mash the Rice when it is hot set them aside.
3. Heat oil in a wok. Add in Mustard and Urad dal and allow them to splutter.
4. Add in dry red chillis. Add in Green Chillis. Saute them.
5. Add in Curry Leaves. Add in Grated Ginger. Add in Carrot. Saute 30 seconds and switch off the flame. Leave it for 2 minutes.
6. Add in Milk and Curd. Mix gently.
7. Add this mixture immediately into rice. Add in the butter.
8. Mix them gently.
Creamy Curd Rice is now ready to serve.