Curry Leaves Gravy / Karuvepilai Kuzhambu is a traditional south Indian Gravy recipe. This is a Spicy and tangy gravy that can be served with steamed rice and any mild vegetables side dish recipe. Curry Leaves is a essential ingredient in south Indian cooking.
Curry Leaves Gravy / Karuvepilai Kuzhambu is a spicy tangy that can be served with steamed rice and any mild vegetable side dish recipe.
- 10 Spring Curry Leaves
- 1 Teaspoon Mustard
- 1/4 Teaspoon Fenugreek
- 1/3 Cup Coconut Grated
- 8 Shallots
- 2 Green Chilli
- 6 Pods Garlic
- 2 Tomatoes
- 1 Tamarind Amla Sized
- 1 Tablespoon Coriander Powder
- 1/2 Tablespoon Chilli Powder
- Salt to taste
- Water as needed
Heat oil in a wok. Add in Curry leaves and saute for some time.
When the curry leaves still have some moisture them take them out of oil and add them into a blender. Add in the grated coconut and blend them into a smooth paste. Set it aside.
In the same oil add in mustard and fenugreek and allow them to splutter.
Add in onion, green chillis and garlic pods and saute for sometime.
Add 2 tomatoes into a blender and blend them into a paste and add them into a onion.
Add salt to taste. Saute until the tomatoes are cooked well.
Add in Coriander powder and chilli powder and saute until masalas blend well.
Soak tamarind in water for 10 minutes. Extract pulp and discard waste. Add in tamarind water and cook for some time.
Add in the coconut paste and adjust the water level. Cook until all the ingredients blend well.
Tangy and spicy Curry Leaves gravy is now ready to serve.
Step by step photos on how to make Curry Leaves Gravy / Karuvepilai Kuzhambu:
- Add in oil and curry leaves and saute the curry leaves. Saute for sometime.
2. When still the curry leaves have some moisture take them out of the oil and add into the blender.
3. Add in grated coconut. Add only limited water. Blend into a smooth paste. Set it aside.
4. In the same oil add in mustard.
5. Add in Fenugreek. Let them splutter.
6. Add in onion and green chilli.
7. Add in Garlic Cloves. Saute until the the onion gets glossy.
8. Blend 2 tomatoes in a blender and make tomato puree. Add into the onion. Add salt to taste. Saute for sometime.
9. Add in Coriander Powder and Chilli powder. Saute until the masalas are cooked well.
10. Soak tamarind in water for 10 minutes. Squeeze the pulp and discard the fibre. Add this water into the tomato mixture.
11. Cook until they all blend together. Add in Coconut paste.
12. Give a gentle mix. Add water and adjust the gravy consistency.
13. Cook until the masalas blend well. Until the oil oozes out. Switch off the flame.
Tangy and Spicy Curry Leaves gravy is now ready to serve.