|Marination time: 30 Min||| Cook time: 30 Min||| Total time: 60 Min|
|Recipe type: Spicy||| Cuisine: Indian||| Yield / Serves: 4|
|Taste: Mildly spicy and tangy|
For Marination Potatoes:
Baby potatoes – 300 grams
Salt to taste
Punjabi Chilli Powder – 2 teaspoon
Turmeric Powder – 1/4 teaspoon
To Roast and Grind:
Oil – 1 tablespoon
Cahews – 15
Ginger – 1 inch piece
Garlic pods – 15 pods
Bay Leaves – 1
Cinnamon – 1 inch stick
Cloves – 1
Cardamom – 1
Onion – 1 big
Jeera – 1 teaspoon
Kashmiri chilli powder – 2 tablespoon
Tomatos – 3 small
Punjabi Chilli powder – 1 teaspoon
Coriander Powder – 2 teaspoon
Kasoori Methi – 1 teaspoon
Curd – 1/2 Cup
Coriander Leaves – 1 tablespoon
Step by Step Photos on how to make Dum Aloo:
- Boil the Baby potatoes until soft. Cool them down. Peel them.
- Pierce the baby potatoes using a fork. Add in Salt and Kashmiri Chilli Powder and Turmeric Powder. Mix them well and keep aside for 30 minutes.
- Heat oil in a frying pan. Add in the tossed baby potatoes and fry them well. Set them aside.
- In the same frying pan add in the cashews and roast them. Add in bay leaves, cinnamon, cloves, cardamom and jeera. Add in the garlic, ginger and onion and kashmiri chilli powder and saute them well. Set them aside and cool down.
- Add the sauted mixture in a blender and blend them into a smooth paste. Heat oil in a frying pan. Add in the blended paste and cook them for few minutes. Add in Chilli powder and Coriander powder and mix them well. Cook for 3 to 4 minutes in low flame.
- Add tomato puree and mix well. Cook Until the raw smell goes off. Add the roasted potatoes into the mixture.
- Cook until the mixture blends well. Crush kasoori methi and add it into the mixture. give a quick stir. Add in curd and give a quick stir. Cook until the oil separates in the sides of the vessel. Finally garnish with coriander leaves.
- Whisk the Curd/Dahi/Yogurt well so that it has a smooth consistency and it blends well with the gravy.
- Add the roasted potatoes only at the end or the potatoes would be overcooked and mashed.
- Byt Piercing the potatoes helps in blending with the masala well
Dum aloo can be served with any pulao, chapati or roti and paratas.