Eggless Stovetop Sponge Cake / Tea Cake is a simple and easy cake that can be made without a oven. There is no compromise in taste or texture. This cake tastes best when consumed on the same day of preparing. It takes upto a 30 minutes and the cake is ready. The best part is i have made this cake with Whole wheat flour.
Checkout other stove top cake recipes in this space.
Eggless Stovetop Sponge Cake / Tea Cake is a simple and easy snack.
- 1/3 Cup Coconut Oil/Butter
- 1/2 Cup Sugar
- 3/4 Cup Condensed Milk
- 1 Cup Warm Milk
- 1 Tablespoon Lemon Juice / Vinegar
- 2 Teaspoon Baking Powder
- 1/2 Teaspoon Baking Soda
- 1 Teaspoon Vanilla Extract
- 1.5 Cups Whole Wheat Flour
For Stove top method of baking a cake we need a Heavy bottomed vessel with a tight lid. A Pressre cooker without the weight cab be used.
Place a stand or a small plate inside the pressure cooker and close it. Avoid the weight. Preheat this in low flame for 10 minutes.
Meanwhile in a mixing bowl, add in Whole wheat flour, Baking powder and baking soda.
Sift this mixture through a sieve to remove any lumps.
Mix the flour using a whisk so they get mixed well.
In another mixing bowl add in the Coconut oil, Condensed milk, Milk, Vinegar, Vanilla Extract and sugar.
Blend them using a hand blender until the sugar dissolves completely.
Now add this liquid in portions into the cake flour. Blend them.
Add in the next batch and blend them.
Blend until the batter reaches a nice smooth and runny consistency.
Now take a cake tin. Grease it generously with oil.
Pour the Cake batter into the cake mold.
Place it inside the cooker and cook in low flame for 20 to 30 minutes.
Open the pressure cooker and check if the cake is ready. Insert a skewer to check if the batter sticks to it. If it sticks cook for 10 more minutes.
Take the cake out and let it cool down.
Using a knife release the sides of the cake.
Invert it on a plate.
Decorate them. Slice them and serve them. Tasty and delightful cake is now ready to serve.
- The cake batter must be a bit runny.
- The amount of milk added completely depends on the flour. It varies between different flour.
- I used homemade wholewheat flour.
- If needed add in few more tablespoons of warm water of thegiven amount of milk is not sufficient.
- All the ingredients must be in room temperature.
- I have used coconut oil in this cake. It cab be replaced with Butter or cooking oil or olive oil.
- I used Vinegar in this cake. It cab be replaced with vinegar as well.
- The cake batter must be filled only upto 3/4th of the cake tin as the cake rises a little and it is easy to handle.
- Greasing the cake mold is important or the cake will stick to the cake mold.
- If baking the cake in a oven then preheat the oven for 10 minutes at 180 deg C
- Then Bake the cake for 30 minutes in 180 deg C.
- This cake tastes best when consumed on the same day.
Step by step photos on how to make Eggless Stovetop Sponge Cake / Tea Cake:
- Use a heavy bottom vessel with a Tight lid for making stovetop cake. I used my pressure cooker. Place a small plate or a stand inside the pressure cooker. Close it. Do not use the cooker weight. Preheat the cooker in low flame for 10 minutes.
2. Take a Mixing bowl. Add in condensed milk, coconut oil and sugar into it.
3. Add in 1 cup milk. Add in Vanilla extract.
4. Add in Vinegar. Blend using a hand blender until the sugar dissolves completely.
5. In another mixing bowl place in a sieve. Add Wheat flour, Baking Powder.
6. Add in Baking Soda. Sift this mixture.
7. Sifting Process removes any lumps. Mix the flour with a whisk.
8. Add the wet ingredients mixture little by little into the flour.
9. Mix them using a hand blender. Add in the next batch of liquid and blend again.
10. Blend until the mixture reaches a smooth consistency.
11. Take a baking mold. Grease it with the oil used in the cake batter generously. Pour the cake batter into the baking mold.
Tap the mold so that if there are any air bubbles they would escape. Now open the pressure cooker and place the baking tin inside and close it.
Cook in low flame for 25 minutes. After 25 minutes open the cooker and check if the cake is cooked well.
Insert a skewer to check. If the skewer comes out clean then the cake is cooked. Else cook again for 10 more minutes.
12. Remove the cake tin from the pressure cooker and allow it to cool down. Relese the cake from the cake tin using a knife. Invert the cake on a plate. Decorate it to your heart’s content. Slice them and serve them.
Easy and delightful sponge cake is now ready to serve.
The cake tastes best when consumed on the same day.