Ginger Chutney is Spicy, tangy, Sweet chutney recipe that is served as a dip with breakfast items like idli and dosa or with snacks items like egg paniyaram/Egg Bites. Ginger is good for digestion. I prefer serving this chutney with a heavy meal. This recipe tastes best when made with fresh and tender ginger. Fibrous or mature ginger might not taste good for this recipe.
Ginger has many medicinal properties and is good to use during monsoon and winter. Ginger helps in good relief from cold and congestion, relieves nausea, loss of appetite.
- Ginger is the star ingredient of the Chutney. It has to be sauted slightly.
- Onion is added to balance the Pungent taste of Ginger
- Garlic is added for some added flavor.
- Tamarind and Jaggery Powder are added to balance the taste. Jaggery alternatives Jaggery Powder cab be replaced with Palm Jaggery or Brown Sugar.
- Oil Any neutral oil can be used for sauting
- Urad Dal and Channa Dal adds nice texture to the chutney
Step by step Photos
1. Heat Oil in a Wok.
2. Add in Channa Dal
3. Add in Urad Dal.
4. Add in Small Onion and saute them.
5. Add in Ginger and dry red chilli.
6. Add in Garlic Cloves.
7. Add in Curry Leaves.
8. Add in Asafoetida Powder.
9. Add in Tamarind.
10. Add in salt to taste.
11. Add in Turmeric Powder.
12. Saute until all the ingredients are cooked.
13. Add in Jaggery Powder. Switch off the flame.
14. Allow the Mixture to Cool down.
15. Transfer the contents into a blender. Add Limited water.
16. Add into a Smooth Paste.
17. Heat oil in Tampering Pan. Add in Mustard and allow it to splutter.
18. Add in Dry Red Chillis.
18. Add in a Spring of Curry Leaves.
19. Saute until the mixture is sauted well.
20. Transfer the Blended Chutney into a serving bowl.
21. Add the Tampering mixture into the chutney. This brings nice taste and flavour to the chutney.
- 1 Tablespoon Oil
- 1 Tablespoon Channa Dal
- 1 tsp Urad dal
- 20 Small Onion
- 3 dry red chilli
- 2 inch Ginger Piece
- 10 Pods Garlic
- 2 Sprig Curry Leaves
- ¼ tsp Asafoetida Powder
- ¼ tsp Tamarind
- Salt to taste
- ½ tsp Turmeric Powder
- 1 tsp Jaggery Powder
- water as needed
- 1 tsp Oil
- ½ tsp Mustard
- 2 Dry Red Chilli
- 1 Sprig Curry Leaves
- Heat oil in a wok.
- Add in Channa Dal, Urad dal, Onion, Ginger, Garlic, Dry Red Chilii, Curry Leaves, Asafoetida, Tamarind, turmeric and salt to taste and saute for few minutes.
- Add in Jaggery Powder and mix them. Switch off the flame.
- Allow the mixture to cool down completely.
- Add them into a blender. Add Limited water. Blend into a smooth paste.
- Transfer it into a bowl and set aside.
- Heat oil in a Tampering pan. Add in mustard, dry red chilli and Curry Leaves.
- Saute them and add into the Ginger chutney.
- Flavourful Ginger Chutney is now ready to serve.
Ginger Chutney is now ready to serve.
How to store
This Chutney keeps good for 4-5 days in the Refrigerator if stored in a Air tight container and a clean spoon used each time.