Biryanis are always delights. Home Style Mutton Dum Biryani is a simply delightful rice recipe that is prepared on festivals or Functions. It is so delicious that many are addict to it. I served this Mutton Biryani with Mutton Liver Dry Roast, Onion Raitha and Wheat Flour Halwa.
Home Style Mutton Dum Biryani
- 2 Teaspoon Poppy Seeds
- 2 Teaspoon Fennel Seeds
- ¼ teaspoon Nutmeg
- 12 Cardamom
- 12 Cloves
- 2 Bay Leaves
- 2 inch Cinnamon
- 2 Big Elaichi Optional
To Pressure Cook
- 1 Kg Mutton
- Water as Required
- 1 Teaspoon Turmeric Powder
- Salt to taste
- 4 Tablespoon Ghee
- 4 Tablespoon Oil
- 3 Onion Sliced
- 15 Shallots Crushed
- 8 Green Chilli
- 4 Tablespoon Ginger Garlic Paste
- 3 Tomatoes
- Mint Fistful
- Coriander Leaves Fistful
- 1 Cup Curd
- 2 Tablespoon Lemon Juice
- 1 Kg Seeraga Samba Rice
- Salt to taste
- Water twice the quantity of rice
- 2 Tablespoon Coriander Powder
- 1 Tablespoon Chilli Powder
- Wash and clean the mutton pieces. Add them into a pressure cooker. Add in salt, turmeric powder and water.
- Close the pressure cooker and cook for 5 whistles in medium flame. Switch off the flame and allow the pressure to release on its own.
- Open the pressure cooker. Take the mutton pieces from water and reserve the mutton water for cooking rice. Set them aside.
- Take the biryani pot. Add in Ghee and oil. Add in sliced onion and green chilli. Saute until the onion is cooked soft.
- Add all the ingredients in biryani masala into a blender and blend them into a smooth paste.
- Add this paste into onion. Saute them.
- Pulse the small onion in a blender add the paste into the mixture. Saute until they are cooked well.
- Add in Coriander powder and Chilli powder and saute until it is cooked well.
- Add in Mint and Coriander Leaves and saute them.
- Add in tomatoes and salt to taste and saute until they get mushy.
- Add Ginger Garlic Paste and saute well. Add Curd and saute.
- Add in Pressure cooked mutton and lemon juice and saute until masalas blend well and the oil ooozes out.
- Soak rice in water for 20 mins. Drain the water and add it in. Saute for few minutes.
- Add in Water. Water: Rice ratio is 2:1. Use the water left out from pressure cooking mutton in this step. Add Salt to taste
- Bring it to boil. Stir occassionally. Wait until the rice is cooked.
- For Dum close the Biryani pot with a tight lid and simmer the flame for 20 minutes.
- Delicious biryani is now ready to serve.
- In each step after adding each ingredient make sure to saute well.
- I used mutton pieces for biryani cut.
- My mutton pieces are bigger so i needed 5 whistles.
Step by step photos on how to make Home Style Mutton Dum Biryani:
- Wash and clean the Mutton Pieces. Add the Muton Pieces into a Pressure Cooker.
2. Add in Turmeric Powder and salt to taste.
3. Add in water and mix gently. Close the pressure cooker and pressure cook for 5 whistles in medium flame. Let the pressure release on its own.
4. Open the pressure cooker. Separate water and Mutton Pieces.
5. Heat oil and ghee in a wok. Add in Onion and Green chilli. Saute until the onion starts browning.
6. Add in Bay Leaves, Nutmeg, Big Elaichi, Small Elaichi, Cloves, Cinnamon, Fennel Seeds and Poppy Seeds. Mix them into a fine powder. Add water only if needed. Add them into the onion mixture and start sauting.
7. Pulse the shallots and add them into the mixture. Cook well until the mixture is sauted well.
8. Add in Coriander Powder and Chilli Powder.
9. Cook until the masalas blend well. Add in Mint and coriander leaves and saute for few minutes.
10. Add in tomatoes and saute them. Cook until the masalas are sauted very well.
11. Now add ginger garlic paste and keep sauting until the oil is released from the masala.
12. Add in Curd. Keep cooking until the oil is released once again.
13. Now add in the pressure cooked mutton pieces alone and mix with masala and cook for sometime.
14. Sometimes mutton releases some water. Add in Lemon juice. Give a nice mix.
15. Soak rice in water for 20 minutes. Now drain the water and add in the rice and saute for 2 or 3 minutes.
16. Now addd in the Mutton Broth and the remaing water. The Rice:Water must be in ratio 1:2.
17. Bring the water to boil. then cook the rice closed. Stir occassionally. When the rice is cooked 90% and the water is evaporated then close the Biryani pot.
18. Leave in very low flame for 20 minutes. Make sure the steam does not escape through the sides of the lid. If needed add some weight to the lid. Ager 20 minutes the delicious biryani is ready to serve.
Enjoy Mutton Dum Biryani with your favourite sweets and side dishes.