Homemade Khoya is a basic ingredient for many Indian recipes especially in some sweets. This is prepared by simmering milk while the water evaporates and reduces to solid. Simply cook milk until it thickens in low flame. It is a bit time consuming process. It took 40 minutes for me to make one litre milk into khoya. It gave me 200 grams khoya. Once it cools it can be refrigerated and used upto 4 days. While making the khoya keep the flame in low so it avoids buring and sticking to the bottom of the vessel.
Homemade Khoya / Mawa
- 1 Litre Milk
- Bring milk to boil in a sauce pan.
- Let it simmer and thicken.
- It took 40 minutes for me to get the mawa.
- When the milk has thickened switch off the flame.
- Stir continuously so that the milk does not burn and stick to the bottom of the pan.
Step by step photos on how to make Homemade Khoya / Mawa :
- Heat milk in a sauce pan. Place in a small bowl. So the milk does not overflow.
2. Let the milk thicken.
3. When the milk has thickened take the bowl out.
4. Keep heating in low flame. Stir Continuously to avoid the milk sticking bottom of the vessel.
5. When the milk is thick and solid switch of the flame.
Cool down the khoya completely. It can be used for making sweets.