Ivy Gourd StirFry / Tindora Stir Fry also known as Kovakkai Poriyal goes well when served alongside rotis or rice and any veg gravies or Rasam or Curd Rice. The addition of White Sesame seeds and Peanuts gives nice taste and richness to this dish.
Ivy Gourd StirFry / Tindora Stir Fry is a side dish to be served with rice and any veg gravy or rasam.
- 1 Cup Tindora Slit
- 2 Tablespoon Peanuts
- 1 Tablespoon White Sesame Seeds
- 1 Tablespoon Oil
- 1 Teaspoon Cumin Seeds
- 1 Onion
- 2 Green Chilli
- 3/4 Teaspoon Turmeric Powder
- 1 Teaspoon Coriander Powder
- 3/4 Teaspoon Chilli Powder
- Coriander Leaves Fistful Chopped
- Water as Required
Cut the tindora vertically into 4 or 6 pieces. Set them aside. Chop the onion.
Dry roast peanuts and allow them to cool down. Remove the outer skin
Dry roast the white sesame seeds. Cool them down.
Add the Peanuts and sesame seeds and blend them into a coarse powder.
Heat oil in a wok. Add in cumin seeds and allow them to splutter.
Add in onion and saute until glossy.
Add in green chillis.
Add in the chopped tindora and saute them. If the mixture is very dry add in few tablespoons of water and cook until the vegetable is cooked soft. Add in salt to taste.
Add in Turmeric Powder, Chilli Powder and Coriander Powder. Cook for few minutes.
Add in the blended Peanut / Sesame seed mixture and give a quick mix. Cook until the masalas blend well.
Finally Garnish with Chopped coriander leaves and switch off the flame
- If your blender does not cooperate add in water and blend peanuts and white sesame seeds into a coarse paste.
Step by step photos on how to make Ivy Gourd StirFry / Tindora Stir Fry:
- Dry roast peanuts until the skin starts darkening. Set it aside to cool down. Dry roast Sesame seeds. Set them aside to cool down.
2. Remove the outer skin from the peanuts. Add the peanuts and sesame seeds into the blender and blend them into a coarse powder.
3. Heat oil in a wok. Add in cumin seeds and allow them to splutter. Add in chopped onion and saute until glossy. Add in green chillis.
4. Add in the Chopped Tindora / Kovakkai and cook them until they are cooked tender. Sprinkle water if the mixture is too dry. Add in salt to taste. Add in Turmeric powder.
5. Add in Coriander Powder and Chilli Powder. Mix them gently and cook until the mixture blends well.
6. Add in the Peanut / Sesame seed powder and mix gently. Cook until the mixture blends well. Finally garnish with coriander leaves and switch off the flame.
Tasty Kovakkai Fry is now ready to serve.