Karupatti Paniyaram / Palm Jaggery Mini Pancakes are sweet paniyarams. Karupatti/Palm jaggery is used as the sweetner. The speciality of Palm jaggery paniyaram is that it has a unique flavour. Usually these are served alongside breakfast. But they can be served as a snack too. They are filling. These Paniyarams have a slight crispy texture outside and a soft spongy texture inside. Checkout other paniyaram recipes available in my space.
Karupatti Paniyaram / Palm Jaggery Mini Pancakes
Karupatti Paniyaram / Palm Jaggery Mini Pancakes is sweet breakfast or a filling snack.
- ½ Cup Raw Rice / Pacharisi
- ½ Cup Idli Rice
- ½ Cup Moong Dal / Pasi Paruppu
- ⅓ Cup Urad Dal / Ulandhu
- 1 Teaspoon Fenugreek Seeds
- 5 Cardamom
- ¾ Cup Palm Jaggery Powdered
- Water as required
- salt to taste
- Soak Urad Dal, Moong Dal, Raw Rice, Idli Rice and Fenugreek seeds for atleast 4 hours.
- Drain the water and add them into a blender along with cardamom.
- Heat palm jaggery and ¼ cup water in a wok. Heat until the jaggery dissolves. Switch off the flame. Drain the jaggery water for any impurities. Allow this water to cool down completely.
- Add this water into the blender along with the grains and blend them into a smooth paste.
- Allow this to ferment overnight.
- In the morning mix the batter gently for few times. Add in salt to taste.
- Heat the Paniyaram pan. Grease with generous ghee or oil/.
- Spoon in the batter. Cook on one side.
- Change sides. Allow them to cook
- Remove from the pan and serve paniyarams hot with other breakfast dishes.
- Fermenting the batter overnight gives nice softness to the Paniyaram.
- If preparing immediately then add in 1 teaspoon of cooking soda
- Cooking Soda helps in nice texture of the paniyaram.
- Cooking them in ghee gives nice aroma.
- If making instant paniyaram with this batter banana can be added into the batter for softness.
- If you wish to have sweeter paniyaram increase the amount of jaggery.
- I have added moderate sweetness.
- The batter must be a bit runny. Adjust the water accordingly.
Step by Step Photos on how to make Karupatti Paniyaram / Palm Jaggery Mini Pancakes
- Add in Palm Jaggery and Water into a sauce pan. Heat them until the jaggery dissolves completely.
- Soak Urad Dal, fenugreek seeds, Raw Rice, Idli Rice and Moong dal for 4 hours. Drain the excess water and add them into a blender. Add in cardamom. .
- Strain the jaggery water for any impurities. Cool this water. Use this water for blending the Grains. Blend them into a smooth paste. Allow them to ferment overnight. In the morning Gently mix them. Add in salt to taste.
- Heat the Kuzhi paniyaram pan. Grease them with generous Oil/Ghee.
- Spoon in the batter. Allow them to cook. Change sides and cook on the other side as well.
- Remove them from pan and serve hot with other breakfast dishes.