Keerai Masiyal is a nutritious and tasty side dish to be served with rice or Rotis.
- 1 Bunch Arai Keerai
- Water as Required
- 1/3 Cup Split Moong Dal
- Salt as Required
- 1/2 Teaspoon Turmeric Powder
- 1 Tablespoon Oil
- 1 Teaspoon Cumin Seeds
- 1 Onion Chopped
- 1 Big Tomato Chopped
- 2 Green Chilli Slit
- 1/4 Cup Coconut Grated
Clean and chop the Arai Keerai.
Add them into a pressure cooker. Add in the moong dal.
Add in Garlic, CuminSeeds, Turmeric Powder, Salt and required water.
Close the pressure cooker and pressure cook for 2 whistles in medium flame. Switch off the flame and allow the cooker to release pressure on its own.
Open the pressure cooker. If required add in limited water. Add in grated coconut. Keep cooking.
In another tampering pan add oil and heat it. Add in cumin seeds and allow them to splutter.
Add in onion and saute them. Add in tomato and salt to taste and saute them.
Add in green chillis and saute for few minutes.
Add this mixture into the Greens mixture.
cook for few minutes and switch off the flame.
- It can be prepared with any greens but it tastes best with arai keerai.
- I have tried this recipe with sirukeerai and palak keerai. Siru Keerai was ok ok with taste and palak keerai i did not like the taste.
- Serving with a dash of ghee increases the taste of the dish.
Step by Step Photos on how to make Keerai Masiyal
- Wash clean and chop the greens. Add them into a pressure cooker. Wash and clean the moong dal and add them into the pressure cooker.
- Add in garlic and Cumin seeds.
- Add in Salt and Turmeric Powder.
- Add in water. I pressure cooked it for 2 whistles in medium flame. Switch off the flame and allow it to realease the pressure in its own.
- Open the pressure cooker and mash it with a ladle. I have not mashed it as i like to have it as it is, Now heat the mixture again. Add in coconut. Keep cooking.
- Mean while in a tampering pan add in oil and add in cumin seeds. Let them splutter.
- Add in chopped onion and saute until glossy. Add in tomatoes and salt to taste. Saute until the tomatoes get mushy.
- Add in green chillis. Saute for few minutes. Add this mixture into the greens mixture and switch off the flame.
- Give a quick stir and serve them hot with hot rice and ghee.
Delicious and nutritious Keerai Masiyal is now ready to serve.