Keerai Masiyal is an extremely nutritious and delicious dish to be served with rice or Rotis. I have prepared this with Arai Keerai. It can also be prepared with siru keerai and Palak keerai. But this dish tastes best with arai keerai. I dont prefer it with palak keerai. It can be served with rice and a dash of ghee. It also tastes great with rotis.
Keerai Masiyal is a nutritious and tasty side dish to be served with rice or Rotis.
- 1 Bunch Arai Keerai
- Water as Required
- ⅓ Cup Split Moong Dal
- Salt as Required
- ½ Teaspoon Turmeric Powder
- 1 Tablespoon Oil
- 1 Teaspoon Cumin Seeds
- 1 Onion Chopped
- 1 Big Tomato Chopped
- 2 Green Chilli Slit
- ¼ Cup Coconut Grated
- Clean and chop the Arai Keerai.
- Add them into a pressure cooker. Add in the moong dal.
- Add in Garlic, CuminSeeds, Turmeric Powder, Salt and required water.
- Close the pressure cooker and pressure cook for 2 whistles in medium flame. Switch off the flame and allow the cooker to release pressure on its own.
- Open the pressure cooker. If required add in limited water. Add in grated coconut. Keep cooking.
- In another tampering pan add oil and heat it. Add in cumin seeds and allow them to splutter.
- Add in onion and saute them. Add in tomato and salt to taste and saute them.
- Add in green chillis and saute for few minutes.
- Add this mixture into the Greens mixture.
- cook for few minutes and switch off the flame.
- It can be prepared with any greens but it tastes best with arai keerai.
- I have tried this recipe with sirukeerai and palak keerai. Siru Keerai was ok ok with taste and palak keerai i did not like the taste.
- Serving with a dash of ghee increases the taste of the dish.
Step by Step Photos on how to make Keerai Masiyal
- Wash clean and chop the greens. Add them into a pressure cooker. Wash and clean the moong dal and add them into the pressure cooker.
- Add in garlic and Cumin seeds.
- Add in Salt and Turmeric Powder.
- Add in water. I pressure cooked it for 2 whistles in medium flame. Switch off the flame and allow it to realease the pressure in its own.
- Open the pressure cooker and mash it with a ladle. I have not mashed it as i like to have it as it is, Now heat the mixture again. Add in coconut. Keep cooking.
- Mean while in a tampering pan add in oil and add in cumin seeds. Let them splutter.
- Add in chopped onion and saute until glossy. Add in tomatoes and salt to taste. Saute until the tomatoes get mushy.
- Add in green chillis. Saute for few minutes. Add this mixture into the greens mixture and switch off the flame.
- Give a quick stir and serve them hot with hot rice and ghee.
Delicious and nutritious Keerai Masiyal is now ready to serve.