Medu Vada / Urad Dal Vada / Ulundhu Vada is a filling breakfast and a fun snack.
- 1 Cup Urad Dal
- 1 Teaspoon Crushed Pepper
- Salt to Taste
- 4 Spring Curry Leaves
- 1 Onion Chopped
- Oil for deep frying
- Water as required
Soad urad dal for atleast 2 hours.
Drain the water completely and add them to a blend them to a smooth paste. Add only very less water.
Add in crushed pepper, Chopped onion, Curry leaves and salt to taste.
Mix them gently. Beat the batter so that the vadas would come out soft.
Heat oil in a frying pan for deep frying the vadas.
When the oil is hot enough turn the heat to medium low. Wet your hands. Take lemon sized balls in your hands. Make a hole in the centre with your thumb.
Drop the vads carefully in oil. Fry them until the vadas are fried till golden brown.
Take them from the oil and leave in the absorbent paper for the excess oil to be absorbed.
Yummy vadas are now ready to be served.
- It the vada batter is too sticky or gets runny then add in a tablespoon of rice flour to make it thick.
- While grinding the urad dal add water only if required. If adding more water then the vads wont hold shape.
- If adding more Rice Flour the vada would get hard.
- Before taking each vada dip your hands in water and wet them so that it is easy to handle the batter.
- Beat the batter well so that the vadas come out soft and fluffy.
- Using cold water while grinding the batter is another tip for getting proper vadas.
- The number of the vada depends on the size of the vada.
Step by Step Photos on how to make Medu Vada / Urad Dal Vada / Ulundhu Vada
- Soak Urad Dal for 2 hours. Drain the water and add them into a blender.
- Blend them into a smoothe paste. Add in crushed pepper.
- Add in onion, curry leaves and salt. Beat the batter well and mix them.
- Heat oil in a frying pan for deep frying the vadas. Wet your hands in water. Take a lemon sized batter in your hands. Make a ball. Make a hole in the center with your thumb.
- Drop the vada carefully in oil. Deep fry in medium flame.
- Deep fry until the vada turns golden brown on both sides. Place them in absorbant paper for the excess oil to be absorbed.
- Cripy and soft vads are now ready to serve.