Medu Vada / Urad Dal Vada / Ulundhu Vada are genereally served with idlis/dosa, chutney and sambar in breakfast. Or Medu vada itself is served with sambar and chutney for breakfast. They are even served as a snack along with tea. Medu vadas have a crispy outside and soft inside. Each bite gives a crispy outside coating and the soft center is yummy. Checkout other Vada Recipes here.
Medu Vada / Urad Dal Vada / Ulundhu Vada
Medu Vada / Urad Dal Vada / Ulundhu Vada is a filling breakfast and a fun snack.
- 1 Cup Urad Dal
- 1 Teaspoon Crushed Pepper
- Salt to Taste
- 4 Spring Curry Leaves
- 1 Onion Chopped
- Oil for deep frying
- Water as required
- Soad urad dal for atleast 2 hours.
- Drain the water completely and add them to a blend them to a smooth paste. Add only very less water.
- Add in crushed pepper, Chopped onion, Curry leaves and salt to taste.
- Mix them gently. Beat the batter so that the vadas would come out soft.
- Heat oil in a frying pan for deep frying the vadas.
- When the oil is hot enough turn the heat to medium low. Wet your hands. Take lemon sized balls in your hands. Make a hole in the centre with your thumb.
- Drop the vads carefully in oil. Fry them until the vadas are fried till golden brown.
- Take them from the oil and leave in the absorbent paper for the excess oil to be absorbed.
- Yummy vadas are now ready to be served.
- It the vada batter is too sticky or gets runny then add in a tablespoon of rice flour to make it thick.
- While grinding the urad dal add water only if required. If adding more water then the vads wont hold shape.
- If adding more Rice Flour the vada would get hard.
- Before taking each vada dip your hands in water and wet them so that it is easy to handle the batter.
- Beat the batter well so that the vadas come out soft and fluffy.
- Using cold water while grinding the batter is another tip for getting proper vadas.
- The number of the vada depends on the size of the vada.
Step by Step Photos on how to make Medu Vada / Urad Dal Vada / Ulundhu Vada
- Soak Urad Dal for 2 hours. Drain the water and add them into a blender.
- Blend them into a smoothe paste. Add in crushed pepper.
- Add in onion, curry leaves and salt. Beat the batter well and mix them.
- Heat oil in a frying pan for deep frying the vadas. Wet your hands in water. Take a lemon sized batter in your hands. Make a ball. Make a hole in the center with your thumb.
- Drop the vada carefully in oil. Deep fry in medium flame.
- Deep fry until the vada turns golden brown on both sides. Place them in absorbant paper for the excess oil to be absorbed.
- Cripy and soft vads are now ready to serve.