Mochai is called as Hyacinth bean or Field beans. Fresh mochai is available in markets during pongal season. In other seasons dried mochai can be found in market. Mochai Poriyal / Mochai stir fry / Avarai payaru fry Goes well with Curd Rice, Mor Kuzhambu and Rice or Rasam and Rice.
Mochai Poriyal / Mochai stir fry / Avarai payaru fry / Lima Beans Stir Fry
- 1 Cup Mochai / Lima Beans
- 1 Tablespoon Oil
- ½ Teaspoon Mustard
- ½ Teaspoon Urad Dal
- 5 Pods Garlic Crushed
- 5 Small onion Chopped
- 2 Spring Curry Leaves
- ½ Teaspoon Turmeric Powder
- 1 Teaspoon Chilli Powder
- ⅓ Cup Coconut Grated
- 1 Teaspoon Fennel Seeds
- Salt to taste
- Take the Lima beans and add it into a pressure cooker.
- Add limited water and salt to taste.
- Close the pressure cooker and pressure cook for 3 whistles in medium flame.
- Allow the pressure to release on its own. Open the pressure cooker. Drain the excess water and set aside.
- Heat oil in a wok. Add in Mustard and Urad dal. Allow them to splutter.
- Crush the garlic pods and saute them.
- Add in chopped onion and saute them.
- Add in Curry Leaves and saute them.
- Add in the Cooked Lima beans and saute for few minutes.
- Add in salt to taste, Turmeric powder and Chilli powder and mix them gently.
- Blend coconut and fennel seeds in a blender into a coarse paste.
- Add them into the lima beans and saute until they blend well.
- Lima beans stir fry is now ready to serve.
- While blending coconut and fennel seeds in a blender add water only of the blender does not cooperate.
Step by step photos on how to make Mochai Poriyal / Mochai stir fry / Avarai payaru fry / Lima Beans Stir Fry:
- Add the Mochai into a pressure cooker. Add in limited water and salt to taste.
2. Close the pressure cooker and pressure cook for 2 whistles in high flame. Switch off the pressure cooker and allow the pressure to come down. Open the pressure cooker.
3. Drain the exccess water and set it aside.
4. Heat oil in a wok. Add in mustard and Urad Dal.
5. Add in crushed Garlic and saute for few minutes. Add in chopped onion.
6. Saute until the onion gets glossy. Add in curry leaves and saute them.
7. Add in the cooked mochai and saute for few minutes.
8. Add in Chilli powder and Turmeric Powder. Mix gently.
9. Add Coconut and Fennel seeds into a blender and pulse them.
10. Add in the coconut mixture into the mochai and mix gently. Cook for few more minutes until the mixture is blended well.
Yumm Mochai Poriyal is now ready to serve.