Muslim Style Brinjal Gravy
|Prep time: 10 Min||| Cook time: 30 Min||| Total time: 40 Min|
|Recipe type: Side Dish||| Cuisine: Indian||| Yield / Serves: 2|
Toor Dal – ⅓ Cup
Channa Dal – 3 tablespoon
Shallots – ⅓ Cup Chopped
Tomato – 1 big Chopped
Green Chilli – 1
Garlic – 5
Coriander Powder – 1 teaspoon
Turmeric Powder – ½ teaspoon
Ginger Garlic Paste - ½ tablespoon
Tamarind – Gooseberry Sized
Brinjal – 3 small
Mint Leaves – 2 tablespoon
Coriander Leaves – 2 tablespoon
Ghee – 1 tablespoon
Onion – 1 chopped
Cinnamon – 1 inch piece
Cloves – 3
Step by Step Photos on how to make Muslim Style Brinjal Sambar:
- Soak Tamarind in ½ Cup water for 15 minutes. Squeeze out the pulp and discard the tamarind. Chop the brinjal.
- Add the channa dal and Toor dal and wash them well. Add required water. Add in the chopped veggies (Tomato, Onion, garlic and green Chillies).Muslim Style Brinjal Gravy 2.jpg
- Pressure cook the dal for 4 whistles. After 4 whistles switch off the flame. Let the cooker release the pressure on its own. After the pressure is down open the pressure cooker. Mash the dal and vegetable mixture.
- In a frying pan heat oil. Add the Chopped Brinjal and saute them for few mins. Add in the tamarind pulp and water and cook the brinjal.
- Once the Brinjal is cooked add it into the dal mixture. Start boiling the dal mixture. Add Turmeric Powder and Coriander Powder and give a quick stir.
- Add in Ginger Garlic Paste and cook well. Add in the chopped Mint and Coriander Leaves. Mix them and cook for 5 minutes in low flame.
- Now prepare the tamping mixture. Heat ghee in a pan. Add in the spices cinnamon and cloves. Add in the Chopped in onion and saute well.
- Once the onion turns golden brown add this mixture on top of the dal mixture.
- While Chopping the brinjal if you are not going to cook it immediately keep them in water. Or it might change in color and get bitter taste.
Brinjal Curry goes well with Ghee rice in muslim style. Will share this recipe soon. This Curry also goes well with any Pulao.