Home Style Mutton Gravy / Mutton Kuzhambu is a simple homestyle gravy that is almost prepared every sunday in my home. The spices are roased and ground fresh. This spice gives that awesome taste to the gravy. The flavour is simply tempting and makes me even more hungry. Mutton is cooked with onion and tomato and cocount and is added in with freshly ground spices and tampered with curry leaves, this process makes the mutton gravy full of flavors. This Curry is generally suitable for preparing with mutton bones. When i cook this gravy i seperate the juicy pieces of mutton and make them into Mutton Masala and the bones for this tasty Mutton Gravy. I am sure you will enjoy the gravy. Happy Cooking. Here goes the recipe…
Home Style Mutton Gravy / Mutton Kuzhambu
- ½ KG Mutton Pieces
- 10 Shallots
- 1 Teaspoon Turmeric Powder
- 2 Tablespoon oil
- ½ Teaspoon Mustard
- 5 Shallots
- Curry Leaves Fistful
- 2 Tablespoon Ginger Garlic Paste
- ¾ Cup Coconut Grated
For Roasting and Grinding
- 1 Tablespoon Fennel Seeds
- 3 Tablespoon Coriander Seeds
- 4 Dry Red Chillis
- Salt To Taste
- 2 Medium Tomatoes
Step by step photos
- Dry Roast Fennel Seeds, Coriander Seeds and dry red chillis separately.
2. Grind them into a fine powder.
3. Wash the Mutton Pieces. I generally separate the bones and juicy pieces and use the bones for this recipe and use the juicy pieces into Mutton Masala
4. Add Mutton, Onion, Tomato, Turmeric Powder and Salt into a pressure cooker. Add water upto the level of mutton. Pressure cook for 5 whistles. Reduce the flame after the first whistle. Switch off the flame after 5 whistles. Wait until the pressure releases on its own. Open the pressure cooker. You can see some water still remaining.
5. After opening the pressure cooker, Start Cooking this once again. Add Ginger Garlic Paste. Add Coconut into a blender with only limited water adn make a paste. Add this coconut paste into the gravy. Cook for 5 minutes. Then add the freshly ground masala.
6. Cook until the raw smell of the masala leaves and blends well with the curry. Cook until the oil starts seperating in the sides of the cooking Pan. Meanwhile in another pan start preparing the tampering Mixture. Add oil in a frying pan. Add mustard and allow it to splutter.
7. Add onion and saute it well. Add Curry leaves. Add the tampering mixture on top of the gravy.
8. Yummy and Flavoral Mutton curry is now ready to serve.
This Mutton Curry tastes great when served hot with steamed rice and any dry mutton side dish recipes. It can be served with Bread or Idlis or Dosas.