Onion Poori Masala is a side dish recipe that can be mainly served alongside Chapati and Pooris. This masala tastes like the potato Poori masala, but it is prepared with just onion. No potaotes needed. Coconut milk makes the dish rich and delicious. This Onion Poori Masala tastes best when served hot with Pooris. If you are a poori lover, then this recipe is a real delight for you.
Onion Poori Masala
- 1.5 Tablespoon GramFlour
- ½ Cup Water
- 1 Tablespoon Oil
- 1 inch Cinnamon
- 3 Cardamom
- 3 Cloves
- 1 tsp Fennel Seeds
- 1 tsp Urad Dal
- 1 tsp Channa Dal
- 3 Dry Red Chilli
- ¼ tsp TurmericPowder
- 1 Green Chilli Chopped
- 2 Sprig Curry Leaves
- 3 Onion Sliced
- ¾ Cup Thin Coconut Milk
- ¾ Cup Thick Coconut Milk
- ½ tsp Garam Masala Powder
- Heat a wok. Add in Gram Flour and roast in low flame for few minutes.
- Roast until nice aroma comes out. Switch off the flame.
- Transfer the gram flour into a bowl and cool down to room temperature.
- Add in water and make it into a smooth solution. Make sure there are no lumps. set it aside.
For the Masala
- Heat oil in a wok. Add in Cardamom, Cloves and Cinnamon.
- Add in fennel seeds. Roast until nice aroma comes out.
- Add in Urad Dal and Channa Dal. Add in Dry red chilli
- Add in Green Chilli and Curry leaves. Saute for few minutes.
- Add in Sliced onion and saute until onion is cooked for 50 %.
- Add in thin coconut milk and cook until the onion is cooked soft.
- Add in tomatoes and cook for few minutes.
- Add in the Thick coconut milk. Add in Garam Masala Powder.
- Simmer the flame and cook until it blends well.
- Add salt to taste. Add in the Gram Flour Solution and cook until it is cooked well.
- Delicious Onion Poori Masala is now ready to serve.
- Garam Masala powder is completely optional.
- If the mixture gets dry sprinkle water in order to avoid burning and keep cooking.
- Fresh Green Peas can be added along with onion.
- If using dried green peas then soak them and use them.
Step by step photos
1. Add gram flour into a wok.
2. Roast until nice aroma comes out.
3. Transfer it to another container and cool down completely.
4. Add in water little by little and mix gently to form a thick paste.
5. Make sure no lumps are formed. Set aside.
6. Heat a Kadai. Add in about 1.5 tablespoon of Oil.
7. Add in Cinnamon, Cardamom and Cloves.
8. Add in Fennel Seeds. Roast until nice aroma comes out.
9. Add in sliced Garlic
10. Add in Urad Dal.
11. Add in Channa Dal.
12. Add in dry red Chillis.
13. Add in Chopped Green Chillis. Saute them.
14. Add in Curry Leaves. Saute for few minutes.
15. Add in Sliced onion.
16. Saute them until onion gets glossy.
17. Add thin Coconut Milk.
18. Add Turmeric Powder.
19. Cook for few minutes until the onion absorbs the coconut milk.
20. Add in the tomatoes. Cook for few minutes.
21. Add in thick coconut milk and cook in low flame until they blend.
22. Add garam Masala Powder. Mix gently and cook in low flame.
23. Add in the Gram flour solution. Keep stirring or it might get burnt.
24. Add salt to taste. Cook in low flame for few more minutes and switch off.
Delicious Onion Poori Masala is now ready to serve.
Leave a Reply