Palm Jaggery Pongal
Palm Jaggery Pongal is a variation from the regular sakkarai pongal.
For Jaggery Syrup
- ¾ Cup Jaggery
- ¾ Cup Water
- 1 Tablespoon Dry Ginger Powder
- 3 Cardamom Crushed
- ¾ Cup Raw Rice /Brown Rice
- 3 Cup Water
- ¼ Cup Moong Dal
- A Generous Pinch Salt
- 3 Tablespoon Ghee
- 15 Cashews
- Soak Raw rice in water for atleast 2 hours.
- Dry roast moong dal until nice aroma comes out.
- Add in moong dal and rice into a pan and add in water and cook until the rice and dal are cooked mushy. If pressure cooking pressure cook in medium flame for 5 whistles.
- For jaggery syrup add in water, jaggery, dryginger powder and cardamom and heat until the jaggery dissolves.
- Switch off the flame and drain for any impurities.
- Add in the jaggery syrup into the rice mixture. Cook for few minutes until the mixture blends well.
- Heat ghee in a wok and add in cashews.
- Switch off when the cashews starts darkening. Add this into the pongal and keep stirring and cook for few more minutes.
- Switch off the flame. Palm Jaggery Pongal is now ready to serve.
- Raw Rice Can also be used for this recipe.
- If there is no time to soak rice for hours then soak in hot water for 30 minutes.
- Soaking Rice in water helps to cook the rice soft.