Pathaneer Kanji / Pathaneer Porridge is a flavorful porridge that is prepared during the summer season when the Pathaneer is in season. It is delicious and cooling to the body. This can substitute breakfast or dinner. Checkout other porridge recipes here.
Pathaneer Kanji / Neera Porridge
- 1.5 Litres Pathaneer / Neera
- 1 Cup Brown Rice / Raw Rice
- Salt to Taste
- ½ Cup Grated Coconut
- ½ Cup Cowpea
- Soak cowpea and Red rice for atleast 4 hours.
- Take the cowpea add them into a pressure cooker. Add water and salt to taste.
- Pressure cook for 4 whistles in medium flame. Switch off the pressure cooker and and allow the pressure to release on its own. Open the pressure cooker. Drain the excess water and set it aside.
- Take the rice, drain the water and spread the rice in a dry cloth. Pat them dry.
- Blend into a fine powder. Add water slowly and mix them and form a watery batter. Make sure there are no any lumps.
- Heat the Pathaneer. Bring it to boil. Add in the rice batter into the pathaneer and salt to taste. Mix gently.
- Keep cooking until the mixture thickens.
- Add in grated coconut and cook for few more minutes.
- Switch off the flame. Delicious porridge is now ready to serve.
- Add water slowly and mix the rice flour into a watery mixture.
If we prepare fresh rice flour the Porridge is very tasty.
- To make rice flour the rice must be dry. Hence wipe them dry using a cloth.
- I used ¾ cup rice. The amount of rice flour might vary hence add in the rice flour slowly. If the mixture is too thick stop adding rice flour.
Step by step photos on how make Pathaneer Kanji / Pathaneer Porridge:
- Soak Cowpeas for atleast 4 hours. Add them into a pressure cooker. Add in Salt to taste.
2. Pressure cook for 4 whistles in medium flame. Switch off the flame and allow the pressure to release on its own. Open the pressure cooker. The gram mush be easily mashable when pressed between fingers. This is the right consistency.
3. Saok brown rice for atleast 1 hour. After 1 hr drain the excess water. Spread it in a cloth.
4. Wipe to remove excess moisture. The rice must be dry.
5. Blend into a fine powder.
6. Add water in small portions and mix them. Make then into a watery mixture without any lumps. Set them aside.
7.Add the Pathaneer into a saucepan and bring it to boil. Add in the rice mixture slowly.
8. Mix them gently. Keep cooking until the mixture thickens.
9. Now drain the excess water from the cow pea and add it into the porridge. Mix Gently. Add in Salt to taste.
10. Add in grated coconut and mix them gently.
Delicious porridge is now ready to serve.