Aloo Simla Mirch Subji / Potato Capsicum Gravy! A tasty dish which goes great with rotis or phulkas. Aloo/potato can pair very well with any vegetable. Capsicum with potatoes is very flavourful and delicious curry and one can do a lot of variations with it. This is an easy recipe can be done in short time. I served them with string hoppers. They taste great with pooris tooo... Here goes the recipe…(now with updated pictures...)
Potato Capsicum Gravy
Potato Capsicum Gravy is a flavoural side dish with Rotis, Idiyappam(string hoppers) etc...
- 1 Medium Potato
- 1 Medium Capsicum
- 1 Tablespoon Oil
- ¼ Teaspoon Mustard
- ½ Teaspoon Cumin Seeds
- ½ Teaspoon Red Chilli Powder
- 3 Tablespoon Groundnut
- ¼ Teaspoon Turmeric Powder
- ¼ Cup Coriander Leaves Chopped
- 1 Cup Water
- 1 Teaspoon Salt
- Add the groundnut in a Wok and Dry roast it.
- Once groundnut starts darkening switch off and cool it completely. Mash the groundnut with your palm, so that the skin from the groundnut gets separated. Remove the skin.
- Grind the groundnut into a coarse powder.
- Chop Potato and Capsicum into similar shapes.
- In a wok heat oil. Add in mustard and cumin seeds.
- Once Mustard splutters add in chopped Potato.
- When Potato is 80% cooked add the capsicum and fry for 5 mins in low flame.
- Add in the Peanut powder and give a quick stir. Add in Water.
- Bring it to boil. Add in Turmeric Powder and Red Chilli Powder. Add in Salt to taste.
- Cook until the gravy thickens and the masalas blend well.
- Garnish with coriander leaves.
- Adjust the water consistency as required.
- Removing shell from the groundnut is important or taste of the dish might change.
- Make sure to cut potato and capsicum in similar shape in order they cook evenly.
Step by Step Photos on how to make Potato Capsicum Gravy
- Dry roast Peanuts until they start darkening. Cool them down. Mash them in your palm in order to remove the outer skin.
- Blend the peants into a fine powder.
- Heat oil in a wok. Add in mustard and Cumin Seeds and allow them to splutter. Add in Potatoes and saute them util they are cooked 80 %. Add in salt to taste.
- Add in chopped Capsicum saute for few minutes until the raw smell from the vegetable is gone. Add in the peanut powder.
- Give a quick stir. Add in water. Bring it to boil.
- When it starts boiling add in turmeric powder and Chilli powder. Give a quick stir. Add in salt to taste.
- Cook until the gravy thickens and the masalas blend well. Garnish with chopped coriander leaves. Switch off the flame.
- Flavourful Potato Capsicum Gravy is now ready to serve.
Leave a Reply