Vadas are always perfect dishes to have with Tea. Prawn Dal Vada / Iral Paruppu Vada is one delicious vada. Prawns within the vada makes the vada even more delightful. There is another version of plain dal vada in my space . This version is a slight modification with the addition of prawns within it. There is going to be another version of plain prawn vada. I served this vada with mint chutney.
Prawn Dal Vada / Iral Paruppu Vada
- ½ Cup Channa Dal
- 1 Teaspoon Fennel Seeds
- 2 Dry Red Chillis
- 2 Spring Curry Leaves
- Mint Leaves Fistful
- 8 Small Onion Chopped
- Salt to taste
- 10 Prawns
- ½ Teaspoon Chilli Powder
- ¼ Teaspoon Turmeric Powder
- Oil For Deep Frying
- Soak Channa Dal for atleast 4 hours. After 4 hours drain the excess water and add it into a blender.
- Add in Fennel Seeds and Dry red chillis and blend them into a coarse paste.
- Add them into a mixing bowl. Add in Salt to taste, Onion, Curry leaves and Mint leaves.
- Mix them gently and set aside.
- Add in Prawns, Chilli Powder, Turmeric Powder, and salt and mix them and set aside.
- Heat oil and get it ready. Wet your hands. Take a lemon sized batter and flatten it in your palm. Place a prawn in the center and press it in the center. Set the vada.
- Place it into the hot oil. Deep fry until 2 sides are done. Transfer the vada into an absorbent paper for the excess oil to be removed.
- Enjoy prawn vada with a hot cup of chai.
- For Regular dal vada we need to simply pulse the soaked dal for few times as there must be one or two whole dals remaining in the vada.
- In case of this Prawn dal vada the dal must be ground little more coarse as the vada is going to be Flatten them and place a prawn over it.
- Regular Dal vada is a bit thicker.
- This prawn vada has to be patted thin as we cannot deep fry more than 3 minutes and the prawn would get rubbery.
- Do not add water while blending the dal or it would absorb more oil while deep frying.
- If the Dal mixture is very dry sprinkle some water.
- If the dal mixture gets too watery add in some rice flour.
Step by step photos on how to make Prawn Dal Vada / Iral Paruppu Vada:
- Soak Channa Dal for atleast 4 hours. After 4 hours drain the water. Drain the water.
2. Add the channa dal into a blender. Add in Fennel Seeds and Dry red chillis.
3. Blend then into a coarse paste. Transfer the contents into a mixing bowl.
4. Add in Mint leaves and Curry Leaves.
5. Add in onion and salt to taste.
6. Mix them gently.
7. Meanwhile take the prawns wash and clean them. Add in Turmeric Powder.
8. Chilli Powder and salt to taste.
9. Mix them getnly. Wet your hands. Take a ball of Dal mixture. Flatten them into your palms. Flatten them thinner. Place a Prawn in the center of the dal vada. Pat them so that the prawn stick to the dal mixture.
10. Drop the vada into hot oil for deep frying. Fry them in medium flame for not more than 3 minutes.
11. Take them out of the out and place in an absorbent paper for the excess oil to be absorbed.
And yes the Prawn dal Vada is now ready to serve.
Yumm serve them with a cup of hot chai.